4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help Me pick my rear tires.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help Me pick my rear tires.........

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

if they get 45000 miles they will not hook better than nitto's
Well... even though im basically stock [:'(]... I can just romp on it off the line at the strip and it just takes off.. Sometimes i get a tad bit of spin but im sure its because i dont clean the tires beforehand.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 AM
JT76

so BFG 275's is everyones choice? i guess thats what im going with.........no one knows about the weight of a regular street radial compared to a same size drag radial ( MT ET streets vs BFG's) My mickeys are sooo heavy, rotational mass ftl[&:]
Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

The BFGs will stick very well in comparison to the nittos and last probably 3x longer!!! My buddies camaro went through 3 pairs of nittos in one year... I have heard the BFGs to go up to 45,000 miles
We are talking about you getting the nitto drag radials right?

There isn't a regular style tire made that will outhook a nitto d/r. Nittos are definatly the weakest traction wise drag radial out there, but they also last the longest.

If your comparing a BFG d/r to a nitto and your expecting more milage out of the BFG D/R your in for a real surprise about 6000 miles out or less
Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

You will get POOR wear with Nitto's. I have the BF G-force Sports and lovem. They have a nice tread and grip nicely, however they are terrible i hear in cold weather! Summer tires only. But they are rated #3 in their class. Check out TirRack for more info. They give you specs on every sixe. They tell you how much they weigh, the width, reccomended wheel sizes and load ratings ohh and speed ratings..lol
Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 AM
JT76

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

The BFGs will stick very well in comparison to the nittos and last probably 3x longer!!! My buddies camaro went through 3 pairs of nittos in one year... I have heard the BFGs to go up to 45,000 miles
We are talking about you getting the nitto drag radials right?

There isn't a regular style tire made that will outhook a nitto d/r. Nittos are definatly the weakest traction wise drag radial out there, but they also last the longest.

If your comparing a BFG d/r to a nitto and your expecting more milage out of the BFG D/R your in for a real surprise about 6000 miles out or less
No man im talkign about a regular street tire, i will use DR's as soon as i build up my rear and then use the tires im buying now as every day driving tires
Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You do know your 100 percent fine with nittos on the stock rear right? They simply don't have the stick to break the rear, they are an excellent saftey. They will spin before you break anything.

Put it this way, if your gonna break the rear with the nittos your gonna break it anyway cause something is already wrong/weak.

The only downside to running the nittos over a regular radial is the wear. I get about 8-10K on the tires if I do limited burnouts. If you start getting radical with tire spin and lots of heat up burnouts of course the life of the tire goes down. So far as rain etc, they are excellent for a drag radial. I have never had them cause me any loss of control etc in the rain. Snow is a different matter. The only snow my car has seen in years (pretty much since it was mine) was when I backed it out of the garage to move some stuff in there around... and I got stuck in my driveway lol.

It sucks to spend 300~ bucks every 8-10K... but it sure is nice to acutally have traction on the street. Anything in a regular radial tire is gonna be a smokeshow in 1st and probably 2nd gear with any WOT. Since I put the suspension on I can do a 2000~ RPM launch on the street and not get tire spin. basically rev to 2k, let out the clutch while starting to increase pedal, and once its out pin the throttle with zero (virutally) tire spin.

Edit: I went 1.90 60's on the nittos the very first time out. I am sure with better track conditions I can get it down into the 1.85/1.80 range with them. Not bad for a heavy *** mustang with tires that can drive 80 MPH in the rain
Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

If you have any real power to your mustang... get the nitto d/r as DD... I had the BF Gsports.. and they were fine on my 04' Bolt on GT.. but I simply roasted them within 2 months on my cobra, it was ridiculous. I have had the Nitto's on since early december and its my DD, and the nipples are still on the tire. They only wear wierd if you run them to high, I keep my nittos at a 22-24psi level and they are fine.

I would forget the rest of em... I would get Nitto D/R's and not think twice about it. Most people see 10-15k miles out of them... depends on how you drive, and where you live. The street tires are rated at more longevity but I, or anyone else with a high rwhp mustang will tell you - all that goes out the window anytime you step on thegas and get sideways... like I said the Gsports that had atleast a year on them on a normal car, didnt last 2-3 months on the Cobra.

Go Nitto D/R and never go back... if i can run them daily in Tampa, Fl where rainy is plentiful, then you shouldn't have any issues. With a blown mustang you're not getting traction in snow regardless - so i wont even address that, haha.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

If you have any real power to your mustang... get the nitto d/r as DD... I had the BF Gsports.. and they were fine on my 04' Bolt on GT.. but I simply roasted them within 2 months on my cobra, it was ridiculous. I have had the Nitto's on since early december and its my DD, and the nipples are still on the tire. They only wear wierd if you run them to high, I keep my nittos at a 22-24psi level and they are fine.

I would forget the rest of em... I would get Nitto D/R's and not think twice about it. Most people see 10-15k miles out of them... depends on how you drive, and where you live. The street tires are rated at more longevity but I, or anyone else with a high rwhp mustang will tell you - all that goes out the window anytime you step on thegas and get sideways... like I said the Gsports that had atleast a year on them on a normal car, didnt last 2-3 months on the Cobra.

Go Nitto D/R and never go back... if i can run them daily in Tampa, Fl where rainy is plentiful, then you shouldn't have any issues. With a blown mustang you're not getting traction in snow regardless - so i wont even address that, haha.
+1

And like I said, they are fine on the stock rear. If its gonna break with them, its gonna break anyway
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Rare, but is nice when me and 2000 agree on something.. haha

Plus if you have a 17x9 tire atleast - you can also run 315's on the rear... without buying a new rim!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 AM
JT76

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Rare, but is nice when me and 2000 agree on something.. haha

Plus if you have a 17x9 tire atleast - you can also run 315's on the rear... without buying a new rim!
275's are the biggest that i can do on a 17x9.....you guys make a lot of sense tho about the nittos, im not worrying about rain, my car hasntseen rain in a year and a half and has neverseen snow. I just want to hook up in dry conditions without breaking anything

Quick Reply: Help Me pick my rear tires.........