4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My new Mustang confuses me. How do you...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default My new Mustang confuses me. How do you...

Yeah, im still figurin out how to work all the little features of my Mustang (1999 GT), and I have a few questions:

How do you reset the trip odometer?

On the Mach 460 stereo unit, how do you adjust the time?

The little white button for the auto shifter is for the OD, right? Whats the point of shutting it off? Isnt that like making the last gear inoperable?

How big is the gas tank?

Whats that little hole for right under the armrest? It looks like it has a plastic key handle pluggin it up, but it pops out. It almost looks like another 12V outlet (inside is metal), but its smaller?

What kind of spark plugs are recommended?

What about motor oil and tranny fluid? Recommended brands?

Wheres the fuel filter at? I think i should change it, cause I dunno how the hell i went through a quarter tank of gas today. I drove to and from campus, then for about an hour afterwards. (This part ties into the trip odo, i wanna check my cars mpg)

Is there a place where i can download an owners manual or something? [&:]
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My new Mustang confuses me. How do you...

How do you reset the trip odometer? Go to trip and push and hold it

On the Mach 460 stereo unit, how do you adjust the time? Press menu until you get to the select min and hour. The use the select button.

The little white button for the auto shifter is for the OD, right? Whats the point of shutting it off? Isnt that like making the last gear inoperable? No clue, I drive a 5 speed. I would assume so though

How big is the gas tank? 15.7 gallons.

Whats that little hole for right under the armrest? It looks like it has a plastic key handle pluggin it up, but it pops out. It almost looks like another 12V outlet (inside is metal), but its smaller? Its another power outlet.

What kind of spark plugs are recommended? Just get some autolite copper ones and gap em to .052-.056

What about motor oil and tranny fluid? Recommended brands? Motor oil, i use Quakerstate peak performance 5W30, tranny fluid just get some royal purple or something.

Wheres the fuel filter at? I think i should change it, cause I dunno how the hell i went through a quarter tank of gas today. I drove to and from campus, then for about an hour afterwards. (This part ties into the trip odo, i wanna check my cars mpg). Its between the rear axle and the fuel tank. Once you get under there youll see it.

Is there a place where i can download an owners manual or something? [&:]Just go one Ebay and order one, or go to a ford dealer. Im sure they can get one for you
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

to set the clock you hold the button that says clock and to change the minutes push the chanel selecton to the right and hours is to the left there are to different head units that come with the 460 it just depends on the year sorry about the spelling
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
keeno
2nd Gear Member

The button on the shifter is the OD lockout..push it, the green light on the dash says OD off or something. I use it when driving in town. Shifts from 1st through 3rd.(same as 4th in a 5 spd) I click it again on the highway to engage OD when over 55 or so.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: keeno

The button on the shifter is the OD lockout..push it, the green light on the dash says OD off or something. I use it when driving in town. Shifts from 1st through 3rd.(same as 4th in a 5 spd) I click it again on the highway to engage OD when over 55 or so.
Whats the advantage to that? Does it save on gas or something?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You can download the owner's manual here...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpartanStang

ORIGINAL: keeno

Whats the advantage to that? Does it save on gas or something?
No it wastes gas
Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

You can download the owner's manual here...
Bingo! [8D]

Hmm, i dont think ill ever have a reason to shut off OD, will I?[&:]
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

If you are corner on a curvey road you would want to take your car out of over drive so the RPMs run a little bit higher similar that of a standard ~ better control...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

lol i hope your car didnt come with a manual... i know i had read that thing cover to cover within the first 24hrs of owning my car.

Quick Reply: My new Mustang confuses me. How do you...