4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steeda underdrives and timing adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda underdrives and timing adjuster

Well, I got the steeda stuff today...I could not get the stock crank pully/dampener off. I got the special harmonic balancer puller that was needed, but man my stock pully was bound or something. I set the puller up and started cranking, and I mean cranking until it actually stripped the threads off one of the bolts of the puller. Either my stock crank pully is rediculously bound or the bolts included with the puller were cheesy, but either way there's no getting that stock crank pully off now because one of the holes needed for the puller is all messed up. Anyways, i got the timer on no problem and it works great. the roads were wet near my house, so I couldn't step on it, but it overall runs so much soother and I can tell the advanced timing will make a difference.

So anyways, if anyone is interested in buying Steeda underdrives, let me know, best offer takes them because I've given up on putting them on. They're in perefect condition and will fit any '96-'00 GT's or Cobra's and some '01 GT's and Cobra's depending if you have the newer style water pump.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: steeda underdrives and timing adjuster

No worry's mate.Get a tap and matching bolt one size bigger than the hole you stripped out and rethread it.The be SURE the washer between the bolt and the balancer has been removed (People have had this happen before)Then try again.NEVER give up!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

The problem is, to get a drill in there and lined up to drill the hole out straight, i'd have to take out the electric fan and maybe even the radiator to fit the drill in...I'm not sure if I want to go through all that trouble for the 5 HP I'll gain from it, haha, I'm lazy.

The thought crossed my mind of using one of those jaw pullers, I know it will probably ruin the stock pully, but if it will get it off, I have the steeda one to replace it. Think that one of those jaw pullers will work? It's all in all, a bad idea, haha, which is why i was smart enough not to try it, haha.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Start the tap into the hole that's already there,just go slow.Turn the tap in 1/4 turn and back out enough to break the chips. You won't need to drill.