4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-01 Cobra or LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 99-01 Cobra or LS1???

ORIGINAL: yelw02GT

4v > LS1
If your simply comparing engines your smoking crack.

If your talking about the differences in the acutal cars, and your only concern is not dragracing, then I would tend to agree.

The LS1 cars are (IMO) not nearly as good looking, they sit way to low to the ground (its like laying down in the car) and you cannot see **** out of them (windsheild is extremely raked and the rear pillars make huge blindspots). They creak/groan and rattle no matter how many miles are on it (my buds has 2x,xxx on it and sounds like its gonna fall apart).

But just engine wise, there is no comparasion. Exhaust/lid/cam/tune and your looking at 390 + WHP... thats just nuts on a basically stock n/a setup. They love nitrous and have a very stout bottom end, and it makes tons of TQ down low, what can you complain about?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:47 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Is it noticeably faster then your GT? When you drove it were you like "HOLY **** BALLZ"!!!
Yep, that's pretty much how it went!

I've had an LT1 and the Cobra is definitley faster, but they make power in VERY different ways. LS and LT1s are very explosive and violent off the line, the Cobras are very progessive and linear. When I first drove myCobra I almost forgot to shift because the damn thing builds all the way to redline!

Launched correctly, "fixed" 99s and 01s are easily capable of 13.4s to 13.7s. With bolt ons (including gears) and street tires they can dip into the 12s easily, but controlling the wheelhop is totally necassary. I had a choice between the Cobra and the Mach 1 and I took the Cobra because I live around some very awesome twisty roads and the damn solid axle can be VERY scary, but on the drag strip it's the obvious choice.....
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Cobras are more rare and look wayyy better than the camaro... so Cobra ftw!!! second choice would be a WS6!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

I have two neighbors that have a 02 Camaro SS and an 02 WS6. I havea 97 cobra. I went for a ride in the SS (full exhaust, no cats, chip of some type) and Holy S was that fast. It would straight rape me. But, sitting in it felt like dragging my *** on the ground and I could barley see out the wiindshild (I'm 6'2"). You seem to sit a little higher in the trans am. The SS is black with blacked out windows and chome wheels....looks simply amazing. TA is stock and look really good. Any one of the 3 (SS, WS6, or Cobra) you get you will be very pleased with.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

I sold my Roush with all bolt-ons, side exhaust, autographed by Jack, in-dash DVD, rims, EVERYTHING for a stock 02 Camaro SS.Personally I didnt want to drop another dime into it when I can have a Camaro that runs 13.4 stock.Any cobra especially; a 99 is very rare but like another mustang it will depreciate faster. When you are talking SVTvs. Ls1 you cant really go wrong with either.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

I've had an LT1 and the Cobra is definitley faster, but they make power in VERY different ways. LS and LT1s are very explosive and violent off the line, the Cobras are very progessive and linear. When I first drove myCobra I almost forgot to shift because the damn thing builds all the way to redline!

Camaro Vs 04 Cobra:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...aa00103047.htm
Corvette Vs 04 Cobra:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...bb00555338.htm
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
tool fan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTowner4life

I sold my Roush with all bolt-ons, side exhaust, autographed by Jack, in-dash DVD, rims, EVERYTHING for a stock 02 Camaro SS.Personally I didnt want to drop another dime into it when I can have a Camaro that runs 13.4 stock.Any cobra especially; a 99 is very rare but like another mustang it will depreciate faster. When you are talking SVTvs. Ls1 you cant really go wrong with either.

You sold your Roush for that F body in your sig???? Are you sick? Feeling ok? Maybe it is faster......... but damn it is fuggin ugly......... sorry for the insult, but your Roush was WAY,WAY,WAY better looking and alot more valuable.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tool fan

ORIGINAL: GTowner4life

You sold your Roush for that F body in your sig???? Are you sick? Feeling ok? Maybe it is faster......... but damn it is fuggin ugly......... sorry for the insult, but your Roush was WAY,WAY,WAY better looking and alot more valuable.
Im with toolfan, how can you give up a Roush? I bet the Roush will corner better then the Camaro.....Roush's suspension is just off the hook!!!!!! And i beleive the curb weight is ligher.......
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

I personally think the SS is sexy as hell, I ave test drove an SS and a Trans am... Felt the same as the GT... but the GT was cheaper... Get whatever looks better to you.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

I had a 97 Camaro Vert.. black with a black top and a dark grey interior... it looked sick... sounded sick... I loved it... a drivers side spark plug popped out, had to dig all the way to the head, I was broke at the time so no go fast goodies, just had the head Heli-coiled... 3 weeks later it spins a rod bearing! TOAST! Working on that car I will NEVER work on one again! Half the friken motor was under the dash! I had to lay on it to reach the rear of the manifold! Changing spark plugs?? HA! you gotta take off wheels, exaust parts, And many, many other things! Great cars... absolutley AWSOME motors.... PITA to work on! As far as the whole "rattly, noisy interior" myth.... it is just that! a Myth! Every car is different! It depends! My buddy has a 1993 Trans-Am, over 150k miles on it... NO rattles! NONE! I have driven it many times! Solid as ****! Now my other friend has a 1996 Trans Am... that thing has more rattles than a baby's crib! My 97 Camaro by the way had no rattles! The same friend that has the 93 TA also has an 06' GT Stang... has this wierd rattle comming from the dash! IT'S AN 06!!! If you wan't alot of power from a car that wont break the bank and responds VERY well to bolt on's, get an F-Body! As far as I am concerned they are both great cars! I don't discriminate between domestics!

[IMG]local://upfiles/44812/9B379AD01EB6450C92D844106E523315.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 99-01 Cobra or LS1???