4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about cobra brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Default Thinking about cobra brakes

I need to replace my rear brake pads and rotors and and the front pads so I was thinking about just upgrading to cobra brakes now. I am building up my car to put a blower on and I figure this is just one step in that process. Are there better options for upgrading brakes around the same price as this http://stangsuspension.com/store/com...?idproduct=825 or is this as good as I can get. I want to buy these things tomorrow or as soon as possible so any feedback would be welcome.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about cobra brakes

I have been 100 percent happy doing the front brakes, other than not being able to run a smaller tire at the strip with them. IMO the rears are a complete waste of time and money, the stockers already do a great job and in any case the rears are only a small percentage of the acutal braking.

To swap out the rears, you must pull the axles out so its more of a PITA.The fronts were super easy and went on like stock parts (cause they basically are). Braking was greatly improved as was pedal feel.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

although they are a sponsor, you can save a bit of money by buying these

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=594
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=477

as was said above if your gonna be doing your rear brakes its gonna ba a pita

Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Ya I've been reading this https://mustangforums.com/m_1112743/tm.htm and half think I can do it. Also, with that last link to buyfordracing does that come with the calipers? I know that the rear ones are the same size so they aren't need, but I do like the fact that the red matched.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Why are you wanting to do the rears as well? Other than the caliper paint there is not a truly signficant difference between them and your stockers.

Unless your into road racing the stock rear brakes with maybe a upgraded aftermarket rotor and pad are going to be nearly as good if not better than the stock cobra ones. If you are into road racing, well your gonna need something better than the stock cobra brakes anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I went with stock sized crossdrilled/slotted rotors and a good set of ceramic pads and couldn't be happier! I think the whole oversized rotor thing is more or less for looks! Yes I'm sure you get a little bit out of it but if I'm on the highway doing 100mph,I can slam on my brakes and you'll def. go through the windshield if you don't have a seatbelt on!!!!! Save some money and just do that much. If you do lots of Autocross racing then I would say word to the wise but other than that I'll never spend crazy money on the rotor upgrade, there's so many other mods that are worth the money like LT's and Catback, nitrous...
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

Ok so lets say I get the front cobra brakes which I am getting one way or another. I HAVE to replace my rears as well so what is the best way to go for that? Its not the looks that I want it is the fact that I kinda want to get the experience...I like finding excuses to work on my car =).
Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The rears are one thing (hell, they arn't that much bigger anyway) but the fronts make a pretty massive difference. going from a 11.x to a 13 inch rotor doesn't sound like much until you see them side by side.. its a big difference.

Plus you get a better caliper and bigger pad setup. The car stops on a dime compared to what it used to be like.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 AM
FRunner
1st Gear Member

So what about the rears?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I went with stock sized crossdrilled/slotted rotors and a good set of ceramic pads and couldn't be happier! I think the whole oversized rotor thing is more or less for looks! Yes I'm sure you get a little bit out of it but if I'm on the highway doing 100mph,I can slam on my brakes and you'll def. go through the windshield if you don't have a seatbelt on!!!!! Save some money and just do that much. If you do lots of Autocross racing then I would say word to the wise but other than that I'll never spend crazy money on the rotor upgrade, there's so many other mods that are worth the money like LT's and Catback, nitrous...
larger rotors for the rear is not entirely all for looks, if he is into autox'ing like I am the larger rotor is helpful. the thing that is all for looks is cross and slotted rotors.. they do very little for most vehicles that are used as dd's... larger surface area = more stopping power. now couple that with some decent pads and your set.

The bfg set only comes with the dust shield and mounting brackets, if you wanna make em look pretty then go get yourself some caliper paint for $15 for the good stuff $5 for cheaper ones. Just tryna save you some money man.

Quick Reply: Thinking about cobra brakes