4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OMFG... Will I spend more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

Default OMFG... Will I spend more?

Ok, So I bought two new BFG goodrich sports 255/45 ZR17 for my stang. My stang already had 4 tires on it, I go to pep boys yesterday to get the two new tires put on. Well come to find out, the guy that owned the car before me took that stang to Sams club to get his tires on at the time, well the dumb @sses at Sams club put the tires on backwards on the rim. All for of them were wrong. FYI- The two tires on the back are Goodrich sport 255/45 ZR17 (they were in good conditiont) and the ones on the front are Goodrich t/a 255/45 (in bad condition), So basically I bought two more of the sports so they would all match, I was going to put the 2 new tires on the back and the 2 old tires on the front..So this whole time I have had thecar (since december) my tread has been backwards..... Pep boys put the new tires on "the right way" and then turned the tires that were backwards the right way. The guy at pep boys even showed me, there is a little arrow on the tire that shows the direction the tire needs to spin, they were clearly the wrong way. They told me that the tire's that they had to turn inside out will not wear right at all b/c of this. What should I do? Is this going to be a really big deal, or can I wait a few months to buy two more? That makes me so mad because if those tires had not been on the wrong way, I would have got another 50,000 miles on them. Should pep boys have kept the tires inside out and just put them on the front? I need your opinion!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: OMFG... Will I spend more?

you don't want to run a directional tire the wrong way in any circumstance.

The damage is already done, now that they are on the right way you don't have to worry about them conituning to wear. If they have already worn funny, it will only conitnue though.

BTW, I always use sams club for all three cars and they do a great job in this area. Its hard to find a good shop anymore
Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
benk87
2nd Gear Member

Aww sorry for dissing them, the one around here is guess is not good
Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The wrong direction will affect traction and wear.

Damage? Only from improper wear or loss of traction in rain/snow.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: benk87

Ok, So I bought two new BFG goodrich sports 255/45 ZR17 for my stang. My stang already had 4 tires on it, I go to pep boys yesterday to get the two new tires put on. Well come to find out, the guy that owned the car before me took that stang to Sams club to get his tires on at the time, well the dumb @sses at Sams club put the tires on backwards on the rim. All for of them were wrong. FYI- The two tires on the back are Goodrich sport 255/45 ZR17 (they were in good conditiont) and the ones on the front are Goodrich t/a 255/45 (in bad condition), So basically I bought two more of the sports so they would all match, I was going to put the 2 new tires on the back and the 2 old tires on the front..So this whole time I have had thecar (since december) my tread has been backwards..... Pep boys put the new tires on "the right way" and then turned the tires that were backwards the right way. The guy at pep boys even showed me, there is a little arrow on the tire that shows the direction the tire needs to spin, they were clearly the wrong way. They told me that the tire's that they had to turn inside out will not wear right at all b/c of this. What should I do? Is this going to be a really big deal, or can I wait a few months to buy two more? That makes me so mad because if those tires had not been on the wrong way, I would have got another 50,000 miles on them. Should pep boys have kept the tires inside out and just put them on the front? I need your opinion!
That's a plus. It might look funny with, say, 3 or 5. Ha. Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

They will wear fine, you can run them as long as you need to. Remember, tire shops do one thing, sell tires.

In CA its against the law for them to work on a tire with less then a certain amount of tread because of lots of stupid blow out lawsuits. When I got a flat on a tire with tons of tread they wouldn't even touch it because it just barely hit the tread wear indicator (groove in outside treads), so I had to buy a new tire.

Its lame, tires are like brake pads, run them until they are used and replace them with new ones. You don't gain any benefit from changing either at 50% wear.

E.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

That's a plus. It might look funny with, say, 3 or 5. Ha. Sorry couldn't resist.
I was thinking the same thing! "Hmm...maybe thats where I'm missing out on this traction we speak of. Guess I'll throw a 3rd wheel back there this weekend"
Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Just curious as to why you are only going with a 255?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Just curious as to why you are only going with a 255?
probably so he can have matching tires all the way around for rotating purposes.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

they don't necessarily "wear wrong"....the belts inside the tire are built facing one direction, just like the tread. when you run on the tires backwards the belts separate and you get...hard to describe...but they look like bubbles in the tread..big ones usually. its called "separation" pep boys should have looked for separation..if the didn't find any then they wouldn't have put them on the right way...well thats how it is at discount anyhow, im not sure about the way pep boys does things...buuuuut if they're not separated then theres nothing to worry about...if they are then its only a matter of time before you have a blow out...if you're THAT worried have a discount tire look at them and they'll tell you if its alright or not

Quick Reply: OMFG... Will I spend more?