4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing an X-pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Default Installing an X-pipe...

Got my X-pipe delivered yesterday... would love to install it tomorrow... any hints on how to do it on a 5-speed convertible?

I believe I've been told I need to cut the factory setup off if I don't want to remove my rear axel... any hints on what to do this with or where to cut?

I've also heard some things about a breaker bar... what exactly is that... just an extension to a rachet to give u more leverage?

And I once read that a special offset rachet was useful for some of the screws... any particulars I should know about that?

Any other hints and ideas you guys have are appreciated as well!! Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2004, 04:01 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing an X-pipe...

Hopefully you are installing a new catback system as well. To cut those pipes you should use a sawzall, its an electric reciprocating saw, take you about 20 seconds to cut those old pipes. Then, just unbolt your hangers and clamps and get that old stuff out of there. Just remember to get it all lined up before you tighten it down and tighten it down from the front of the car and work your way backwards. A breaker bar is a crowbar. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:53 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

You need some PB blaster 21inch extension for a 1/2in drive, 15mm long and short 6 point 1/2in socket, 1/2 swivel, and 1/2 in drive. Spray the nuts were the factory h meets the mainfolds and let it sit for abit. YOU will need the car on ramps and the rear axle on jack stands. Break them free, it will be a b*tch. You can try and use a 3/8 drive but you may not get enough force.

Disconnect it from the cat back will be pretty straight foraward.

You must also have a catback if you need to pull the whole exhaust system. Cut the axle over tubes just after the muffler with a sawsall. The tube will come out no prob. Depending on the exhuast you got, like magnaflow, the axle over tube is all one piece. You will need to support the car by the body for a few minutes because you need to let the axle hang to give you room to slide the tube over on the passenger side. You mat also have to loosen an exhaust hanger that the tube till hit. be very careful of the brake lines. The drivers side will go over no problem. SUPPORT THE CAR BY THE AXLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Do it this way if you do not want to disconnect suspension components.

then the directions might have you go from the front to the back, do it the other way it is so much easier. leave everything snug until you have the tips and tubes where you want them and tighten them up. A good rule of thumb is if you can get your hand around the pipe you have enough clearance.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Colorado Fatboy

A breaker bar is a long handled tool that has an attachment on the end for a socket. It's used to get leverage to break bolts loose.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9649/ED5714E032934DB6B7E526E2763DC23D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses!! I got the catback on... didn't have time to do the midpipe so I stopped where I am... sounds great!

Quick question... how do u know if the exhaust is "leaking"? I know some people end up welding on bolt on exhausts due to leaking... anything I should be listening for? I didn't hear anything that sounded "weird" so I'm just curious. Let me know, thanks!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

It'll sound like papers ruffling under your car or it'll whistle!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:36 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Easy way to know if it is leaking is to drive next to a wall at about 15mph, put it into third and stomp on it. This will make the motor bog and the ticking sound from a leaking exhaust more aparent.