4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pinging on hard acceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pinging on hard acceleration??

ORIGINAL: wildazme

the main this in our cars are suppose to be able to run on 87 so if nothing is done to bump up the timing this shouldnt be happening and it is, running 93 will stop it yes but doesnt solve the problem. here in ny 87 is 3.11 a gallon now and its not even really summer yet. there has to be a reason for this happening.
I look at your sig and I am fairly certain that your "Superchips Tune," is probably what your problem is... Just a guess..

As for the original poster, you shouldn't drive it too much if the pinging is that bad, since you're destroying your engine... Are you absolutely sure it's predetonation and not an exhaust leak??

JT
Old 04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

I am positive that it is not an exhaust leak. I just put on Flowmasters yesterday (big difference from stock) and pretty quiet till you get to the back of the car.
The pinging isn't real bad till you get past about 4500 RPM so it's not like it does in constantly.
I did put 92 octane in it on the way to work today and got a chance at lunch to hammer on it after driving 40 miles to work and the pinging was pretty much gone. The problem is as the one guy said, it should not be happening on a non tuned car. I am thinking that it is either the heat range of the plugs or deposits on the valves. I have seen the new 3 valve engines in the trucks get alot of carbon build up on the valves due mostly from the poor design that Ford is blamming the fuel companys for bad gas and recomending people use Cheveron with tecron, I call bull**** after seeing a ton of them day after day in the service dept. that I worked in. The 3 valve Mustang owners may not see that problem due to the fact that those engines see alot of high RPM's that clean out the engine. My 96 has probably never seen more than 4000 RPM's from the lady that drove it up until I got ahold of it so that may just be the case. I think what I might do is take off the intake and take a look at the back side of the valves and go from there.
And by the way 92 octane is $3.25 per gallonhere just a few miles south of Seattle.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

So on the way home last night I was able to hammer it in 3rd gear under load and the son of a bitch pinged like mad again even with the 92 octane. Has to be carbon build up or I need colder plugs. [/align]Anyone know of a colder plug that I can run in a 96 GT?[/align]
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
firstonraceday96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenv

Sounds like detonation. Try a tank of premium fuel & see if that helps
+100 thats your problem.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

What do you mean 100+?[/align]That is going to fix a car with pining or is it going to fix itself? You really think a bone stock engine sith no tune should be running 100+ octane?[/align]
Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

If it's not carbon build up, you may have a clogged injector, or injectors.. Since you work at a dealership, or a shop, see if there's a way they can check the fuel pressure at the rail, or see if they can pull your injectors and test them... Since you say when you punched it, it started pinging, that sounds like a fuel pressure issue.. Maybe you need a new fuel filter for all I know...

JT
Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 PM
richinwa
1st Gear Member

it's not when I punch it but at higher rpm's, that is when the pinging happens.
I work for a Dodge dealer andmy service departmentonly does a 35-40 psi injector clean, and they don't have a motorvac here cause apperently the gas engine in the Dodge's don't get carbon build up on the back of the valves like the Ford's do. (gotta love that HEMI)
Old 04-06-2007, 08:39 PM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

+100 doesn't mean 100+ octane. He was using the +100 to demonstrate that he agrees with the above.

Really, I would replace the fuel filter and injectors. That would be a very cost efficient and easy DIY repair and may very well fix the issue.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richinwa

it's not when I punch it but at higher rpm's, that is when the pinging happens.
I work for a Dodge dealer andmy service departmentonly does a 35-40 psi injector clean, and they don't have a motorvac here cause apperently the gas engine in the Dodge's don't get carbon build up on the back of the valves like the Ford's do. (gotta love that HEMI)
But, lemme ask you this: What happens to your fuel pressure when your engine is winding at higher RPMs?? It goes up, to support the fact that your engine is now rotating faster, meaning more ignition, meaning more fuel...

Also, the Hemi, isn't a true Hemi, so don't let those Techs tell you it is... Trust me on this one...

On top of that, 4.6's aren't really known for having excessive Carbon build up, only 4.6's that aren't taken care of....

If you are still hell-bent on it being Carbon build up, why don't you try Seafoam.. I am willing to bet, it doesn't fix your problem though..

JT
Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

bye the way for the guy that said my problem was because of my superchips tune, just to clear things up my car was doing this when it was stock also without a tune, and the tune i have on my car now is an 87 tune so it would have nothing to do with that. i have been on other forums and there are people with the same problem and no one can seem to figure it out. as for the sea foam i have tried that a few times to no avail.

Quick Reply: Pinging on hard acceleration??