4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does this turbo kit seem promising?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

Default Does this turbo kit seem promising?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-94...QQcmdZViewItem

The price is very low, so I'm just questioning its legitimacy...

Forced induction is in my future plans. Is a turbo doable?

- Glen
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Does this turbo kit seem promising?

looks like you'll need quite a bit of fabrication, exhaust manifolds would be a pita!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it said that there would need to be some fabrication but I believe AutoCAD would aid in such design...I have a few weeks to kill anyway, LOL.

I need a bit of feedback on this. If I get the encouragement and insight, I will readily buy this kit and keep the project up to date to let you know how it turns out...

- Glen
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

stock motors don't like turbos. I will tell you that it is a pretty good price but you still need a manifold and a downpipe. Shouldn't be too hard to come buy but unless you have experience installing a custom turbo i wouldn't attempt it. Go to a shop and see what it would cost for an install if you provide the parts and also what it would cost for a kit + install. That is what I would base my decision on.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

You can buy pre-made turbo manifolds for a 4.6.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

i dunno cuz the engines from 1987 all the way up to 2006 were all different and how can they make one turbo to fit all the engines... i am not saying its impossible but i would question the validity of it
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

stock motors don't like turbos. I will tell you that it is a pretty good price but you still need a manifold and a downpipe. Shouldn't be too hard to come buy but unless you have experience installing a custom turbo i wouldn't attempt it. Go to a shop and see what it would cost for an install if you provide the parts and also what it would cost for a kit + install. That is what I would base my decision on.
They like them more than superchargers...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

I figured maybe the Turbocharger kits are more universal...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glen

I figured maybe the Turbocharger kits are more universal...
Basically all your buying is the turbo, intercooler, and wastegate. A lot of custom fab will have to be done on it to make it work plus youd have to add in your fuel upgrades. By the time it was all said and done, it'd be either the same price or more expensive than buying a prefabricated kit.

Now if you had a friend who did fabrication like this and gave you a really good deal or if you could do it yourself, then you'd save yourself a ton of money. But if you are paying someone else, just buy a whole kit.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

They like them more than superchargers...
Do they put out more power on less boost yes. Will the motor last more than 1000 miles... doubt it. There is too much variable in a turbo setup for a factory non f/i car without forged internals to take for too long. Look back at the people who have had turbos on this site with stock motor and see how many passes or miles they made it before the motor popped.

Quick Reply: Does this turbo kit seem promising?