4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Few suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

Default Few suspension question

1) i've been trying to find a set of new spring isolators and the only place i can find then is stangsuspension.com : http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=234. These are POLY isolators. Are they going to make/transmit more noise? Do i even need new isolators when i replace my springsor should i just use the same ones?

2) Im looking at getting new rear lower control arms. I dont drag race and just want better handling on the road, should i get the upper ca's as well or is it not worth it? I've heard that new uppers w/ poly bushing actually will hurt cornering abilities.
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0-- or --
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0

3) When can i remove the quad shocks? is it when i get new lower ca's or would i need the uppers as well?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Few suspension question

If you want to corner and not drag then stick with the stock uppers. You can reuse your isolators.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

If you want to corner and not drag then stick with the stock uppers. You can reuse your isolators.
2) you have that completely opposite, using a uca is cheaper to control axle windup on a drag setup, if your into cornering get rid of those uca's ASAP.

1) The poly isolators should increase road noise, but your in a stang so you prolly wont notice.. the thing you might notice is an aftermarket lca. They will make things a little louder in the rear seat.

3)I'm actually wondering about the quad shocks as well, since I'm installing the c/o's soon I am wondering if there is any adverse effect of removing them.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

2) you have that completely opposite, using a uca is cheaper to control axle windup on a drag setup, if your into cornering get rid of those uca's ASAP.

1) The poly isolators should increase road noise, but your in a stang so you prolly wont notice.. the thing you might notice is an aftermarket lca. They will make things a little louder in the rear seat.

3)I'm actually wondering about the quad shocks as well, since I'm installing the c/o's soon I am wondering if there is any adverse effect of removing them.
No my friend you have that completely opposite. If you want to corner better then you stick with the stock uppers instead of getting aftermarket ones. You only get aftermarket ones if you are setting up for drag racing. Aftermarket bushings in the uppers are to stiff and cause even more binding then the stockers. Ideal would be to switch from a four link to a 3 link suspension but not everybody has that much money to blow.

To delete the quad shocks all you need is a minimum of aftermarket lower control arms.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Quad shocks are for cornering I believe? It would be pointless to take them off if you aren't into drag racing.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

No quad shocks or to control axel windup and wheel hop. The do nothing for cornering. Thats why the V6's dont have them they dont make enough power to actually windup the axel.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I was actually reinforcing your idea then. I assumed you meant if he is looking for a better handling car to get uca's in your first post.... but anywho, the rear axle geometry of the uca's and lca's are a very poorly thought out one, aftermarket uca's are a bit less forgiving and tend to bind pretty quick, and when that happens you'll experience snap oversteer. If your going for cornering, you should delete the stock uca's and go with either a watsons 3link, ta/phb combo, or one other one that is completely escaping me atm....
Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pete1665

1) i've been trying to find a set of new spring isolators and the only place i can find then is stangsuspension.com : http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=234. These are POLY isolators. Are they going to make/transmit more noise? Do i even need new isolators when i replace my springsor should i just use the same ones?

2) Im looking at getting new rear lower control arms. I dont drag race and just want better handling on the road, should i get the upper ca's as well or is it not worth it? I've heard that new uppers w/ poly bushing actually will hurt cornering abilities.
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0-- or --
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0

3) When can i remove the quad shocks? is it when i get new lower ca's or would i need the uppers as well?
Pete, I have those exact parts installed on my '04. The isolaters are no big deal and are no noisier or harsher than the stock pieces. However, being poly, they reduce the 'drop' on my springs by .25 inches. I also have the GMS u/l CAs in red. They are great pieces and plan 3-4 hours for install if you have the tools at hand. I had the use of a lift for mine, so it was very easy.

As for the quads, they do more for 'dampening' vibration than anything else after installing the CAs. I still have mine for no particular reason. You can remove them when you install the CAs.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Pete, I have those exact parts installed on my '04. The isolaters are no big deal and are no noisier or harsher than the stock pieces. However, being poly, they reduce the 'drop' on my springs by .25 inches. I also have the GMS u/l CAs in red. They are great pieces and plan 3-4 hours for install if you have the tools at hand. I had the use of a lift for mine, so it was very easy.

As for the quads, they do more for 'dampening' vibration than anything else after installing the CAs. I still have mine for no particular reason. You can remove them when you install the CAs.
Great, i think i'll be ordering the lowers only then. Do you think i really need the new isolators? (that will make the third order in two weeks from stangsuspension.com!)

Although... How about these compared to the Granatelli... http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1196
Any real difference? I'd rather order the isolators and LCA's togeather than from separate companies and pay twice for shipping.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Granatelli is a fake brand, they claim to have all these patents but they are a cheap knockoff of other companies designs. I think they are made in mass quantities in China, thats how they offer such low prices. I would go with MM or Griggs LCA's if your planning on autox'in or if your interested in cornering. Give them a call and talk to them, see what they can do. MM techies are pretty damn friendly and tell to you bout anything you want to know.

Quick Reply: Few suspension question