4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake Upgrade

Hey guys, I'm picking up a front set of mach 1 brakes today, minus pads and rotors. I'm gonna go with either drilled or drilled/slotted rotors, and probably Hawk Pads. Anyone reccomend a set of rotors that aren't outrageously priced? Ford Racing sells drilled/slotted ones online for like 150 or 200, anything else worth looking at?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
LX90
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Upgrade

I don't know how you feel about Baer, but they have the Decella Rotors for about $200 a pair.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

heres a long link but this'll be what your looking for
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ategory=Rotors
Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I've had a few friends that have used the hawk pads and they said they will never use them again. I think I remember them saying someone like it was tearing the rotors up?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I would rather get slotted over drilled, unless you get the upper end Brembos, since they're supposedly treated.. Powerslots are good, and they aren't TOO much.. Remember, you usually get what you pay for..

As for pads, Porterfield or Hawks aren't bad.. I bet most people aren't used to Semi-metallic, or fully Metallic pads, since you have to kinda "heat em up," before they start to bite the rotors.. Usually, in the mornings before you drive, you should either ride them for a second, or make a few quick stops.. The pad material actually works better when it's hot...

JT
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I would rather get slotted over drilled, unless you get the upper end Brembos, since they're supposedly treated.. Powerslots are good, and they aren't TOO much.. Remember, you usually get what you pay for..

As for pads, Porterfield or Hawks aren't bad.. I bet most people aren't used to Semi-metallic, or fully Metallic pads, since you have to kinda "heat em up," before they start to bite the rotors.. Usually, in the mornings before you drive, you should either ride them for a second, or make a few quick stops.. The pad material actually works better when it's hot...

JT

See, I've been told by one person that drilled are fine for a street car, and are only known to crack under extreme stuff like road racing. Others, like you, say Powerstop are good, which I believe is true. But some say that slotted eat your pads, and some say drilled do. I guess either way your ( or me in this case) paying for the look, which I am, so I really need someone to unconfuse me please.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Also, who has used either Hawk HPS pads or the full Ceramic ones? For a DD what do you reccomend... C'mon people, I'm ordering in the morning.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

ANYBODY........................?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html

check that thread out..

I'd debate the whole plain/drilled/slotted rotor things with you guys but it'd end up like that thread.. Interesting read tho.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:56 AM
BeeRad

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

These are the rotors I got when I upgraded to the calipers that came on the 01 Bullitts which are basically the same calipers with which ponys on them. Anyway, I would recommend these because they're Zinc dichromate plated which keeps them from rusting. And it doesn't matter if you don't like the gold color because most of it is warn off by the brake pad, but the part that comes in contact with the brake pads won't rust either way. Anyway if you can get them for 150 or 200 altogether I would just do that, but I'm not exactly sure if you meant for the price of one or altogether. If you meant for the price of one then I would look around more. Oh and I should warn you. The drilled brake rotors are a little noisy. You can hear the air running through them every time you brake.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade