4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What octane and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
01GTCONVERTABLE
2nd Gear Member

Default What octane and why?

Since I bought my 01 GT, I've been running 93 octane in it. I've heard it burns better and cleaner. I've also figured it costs me and additional $4 per tank, which isn't that big of a deal to me. There is also racing fuel...100 octane, is there any point to that? At $4+ a gallon I can't see why, but I don't know. I also see all these "Fuel System Cleaner" and "Injector Cleaner" and "Octane Boost"....do those acually do anything or is it just to sell some useless products to people like me who don't know better?? Any answers would be helpful. At least I could give a good reason if someone asked me why I put in Super instead of Regular. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What octane and why?

if you're not
FI, high compression, adavanced timing....
you don't need anything other than 87 in your stang... you're just wasting your money
Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Octane is a unit used to measure the fuels resistance to detonation. Unless your engine knocks, you're just wasting your $ and burning up your cats.

I also see all these "Fuel System Cleaner" and "Injector Cleaner" and "Octane Boost"....do those acually do anything or is it just to sell some useless products to people like me who don't know better??
Exactamundo, homie...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

You shouldn't use anything but 87 octane. From what I've heard alls you are doing to your car is wasting fuel that isn't being burnt up. If you modded and tuned your your motor than higher octane would be better.

Right now all that is happening is your fuel is getting spark and only a limited amount ofit is actually burning and the rest is being deposited on the top of your piston.

If I am wrong, please someone else correct me. And help this person out. Don't want to see his Mustang pinging.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 AM
mikemic

The GT is designed to run on 87 octane, so as mentioned above, you're likely wasting 10 to 20 cents per gallon for everyday driving. As far as cleaners, I just try to use gas from a station with modern tanks and pumps that sells a lot of gas so I get clean gas. That's probably more important than brand name.If you do think you need a fuel system cleaner, Chevron Techron concentrate is considered by many to be one of the better over the counter products.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:52 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

BG 44K fuel system is the best you can buy. It`s $20 per can and it`s well worth it. It does work.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikemic

The GT is designed to run on 87 octane, so as mentioned above, you're likely wasting 10 to 20 cents per gallon for everyday driving. As far as cleaners, I just try to use gas from a station with modern tanks and pumps that sells a lot of gas so I get clean gas. That's probably more important than brand name.If you do think you need a fuel system cleaner, Chevron Techron concentrate is considered by many to be one of the better over the counter products.
Don't go to one of those No-Frill (Can't find a better word for them) gas stations. There is usually water in their gas.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

If you want to run the higher octanes get that timing advanced either by the steeda adjuster or a handheld tuner than you will see the benefits of higher octane fuels and your gas mileage will also improve.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cahtr6

If you want to run the higher octanes get that timing advanced either by the steeda adjuster or a handheld tuner than you will see the benefits of higher octane fuels and your gas mileage will also improve.
Is that how you advance the timing nowadays?
Remember the days when you used a timing light, chalked your damper, the timing plate, and turned your distributor to 5 more or less degrees?

"Pepperidge Farm Remembers!!"
Old 04-10-2007, 02:10 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

We lost our distributors now we have to talk to our computers

Quick Reply: What octane and why?