4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

subframe connector install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

Default subframe connector install

how much did it cost to have the full length subframe connectors welded in? i got a quote of $100 from one shop and then the local shop said it would cost $400 bc of removing the carpet. the shop is highly reccomendedand they build race car motors so i know their not trying to screw me but i was like wow thats expensive..
Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: subframe connector install

Depending on what style connectors you have? Most just get welded to the outside and the carpet doen't need to be removed. Most places charge $70 an 1hr and it will take about 1 1/2 hrs for install. I know somepeople claim 20 minutes, yes, but that's after it's up on the lift! They charge from the time they turn the key. Make sure it goes on an alignment rack and not a normal walk under lift (those can tweak the frame prior to weldeing the connectors on. Cars are suppose to be perfectly striaght to get the job done!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I paid $60 and it took about 30 mins, my car stayed on the lift for another 15 mins cause I coated all the welds in 5 coats of rustoleum
Old 04-12-2007, 05:10 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

I paid $60 and it took about 30 mins, my car stayed on the lift for another 15 mins cause I coated all the welds in 5 coats of rustoleum
I use a Zinc apray for all that stuff. Rustoleum or any other paint just doesn't compare. Those welds will NEVEr rust with the Zinc spray. Highly expensive and hard to fing though. I got mine from a local Garden Tractor supply store. I think they were $10 a can
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

the carpet IS supposed to be removed whenever welding underneath the car. the floor can get hot and catch the carpet on fire. either they remove the carpet or put wet rags on them while welding. most welders dont do this. when they dont this can happen:
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=63008

Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

Depending on what style connectors you have?
there the mm full length weld on connectors.

this place was going to remove the carpet and seats so nothing would possibly catch fire. i just couldnt see paying the same as a header install but i also wouldnt want my car to catch on fire. i could always remove it myself to save some money..lol
Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

or do like I did, I had several packs of ice near the area's they welded.. lols and I went on a cold day.. after that I had a lot of nice cold pepsi and shared it with the welders=P
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1hotdrp

this place was going to remove the carpet and seats so nothing would possibly catch fire. i just couldnt see paying the same as a header install but i also wouldnt want my car to catch on fire. i could always remove it myself to save some money..lol
I hope you don't think they have to run a bead of weld the whole enitre length of the connector...lol It just gets tacked in a few spots along the way with maybe a 2in wide weld. Hardly anything to catch your carpet on fire as long as you know what you are doing. Most of the hardcore welding will be on the FRAME and not the floor pans where the carpet sits on!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: 1hotdrp

I hope you don't think they have to run a bead of weld the whole enitre length of the connector...lol It just gets tacked in a few spots along the way with maybe a 2in wide weld. Hardly anything to catch your carpet on fire as long as you know what you are doing. Most of the hardcore welding will be on the FRAME and not the floor pans where the carpet sits on!!!!!!!!!!!
it really depends tho, for mine there was alot more welding than usual because I had the powder coated full length subs from mm, they told me to only scrape off a little of the pc because once they get a spark they can weld the rest, and because of the extra time they spend on those parts of the sub I'd rather be a little more protected.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

it really depends tho, for mine there was alot more welding than usual because I had the powder coated full length subs from mm, they told me to only scrape off a little of the pc because once they get a spark they can weld the rest, and because of the extra time they spend on those parts of the sub I'd rather be a little more protected.
Not sure what you mean by the spark, but yes you need to clean the paint off in specific areas before you can weld. I would recomend using a wire brush on the end of a drill. This creates a semi-porous surface and it helps the weld creat it'ss home! I use the Zinc spray because ordinary paint in a can wil not stick to metal that has been heated up near the areas that were welded! The zinc is kinda like a primer and sticks to silicone...lol ok maybe not but you get my point. (no paint stick's to silicone)

Quick Reply: subframe connector install