4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 GT VS. 03/04 Cobra... AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 GT VS. 03/04 Cobra... AGAIN

because the cams are already aggressive enough and it's more then 2k or so... remember you have to think its double the price of 2v cams... so the cash isn't worth the reward... 2k and get 20rwhp, or 4k and get 80rwhp? lol

You also have to remember.. if your going to do a GT up the right way, you need to do a car like Victors or Codes... which is a lot of money - code and victor have spent a lot of money... Realistically if i wanted to build a track car, i'd get a v6 shell and built it up and spend 10k and hand everyone there ***, really...

To be honest, there's just something about having a Cobra, i dunno... but really most 2v motors that run 600+ rwhp really aren't daily drivable and comfortable.. i have been in 700rwhp Cobras... that ride like there stock just a bit louder, haha.. mine rides awesome, and it pushing out 500rwhp or so now.. and its a nice daily driven car... I think really aggressive cams on a GT really ruins the ride as a daily driver.. but like i said to run over 450rwhp... you really have to replace EVERYTHING. build the axle, motor, tranny, and suspension... Depends on what you want...

For the record Victor.. if i ran into you (unknowingly) and got raped by your car.. first off, i'd know by the sound what your car was, and i'd be like nice effin car, what do you have done? lol - but then again im not your avg cocky cobra driver, lol...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Adam, lets chat a bit.. I totally understand how your itching for a cobra, because I sure as hell was.. well I kinda still am lol, but anyways.. Think of it like this.. This is pretty much your DD. A stock GT is faster than a ton of the normal **** you see every day on the road. A GT with 400 to the wheels, with supporting mods will still be cheeper than an 03/04 no matter what. Hell, even 370ish rwhp is enough to pretty much take care of most of the crap you see every day. I know 550 is just a couple grand away with a Cobra, but then you'll have a car that your busting your *** to pay for, that still can't get a good amount of tractionto use all that power. If you upgrade your drivetrain/suspension with sticky tires and 400 to the wheels, you'll have usable power that won't really destroy the car you already paid/ are paying for, and it won't lock you into big payments for at least a couple years. Do you really want to pre-spend your money on bigger car payments.. oh wait, you forgot about mod money too. I'm pretty sure from other threads that your pretty young like me too, and this is how I justify it to myself. You can either save and still spend money on mods, and invest whatever else you have so you can afford better stuff in the future, or be locked into Cobra payments during your prime.

Lol sorry about the essay I wrote, I'm waiting 45mins for a call and felt like talkin.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

the gt rear can handle more power than the cobras, i'd like to see how long a cobras irs will last with 500+ hp, hell my buddy grenaded his irs on his first pass, his cobra was stock down to the paper filter.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The GT stock 28 spline axle won't hold up that well, with good traction and 500rwhp, not to mention the 10 spline input shaft and stock TOB on a clutch with a 5spd... The stock 28spline axle, will need to be beefed up... and if you don't your on borrowed timewith it... The Cobra IRS has handeled 700rwhp with just a IRS Brace... he probably tried to power through the wheel hop when he blew his IRS, or did a 5k dump with Mickeys on... If you try to power through wheel hop you will need a tow home...

ORIGINAL: geetee03

the gt rear can handle more power than the cobras, i'd like to see how long a cobras irs will last with 500+ hp, hell my buddy grenaded his irs on his first pass, his cobra was stock down to the paper filter.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

because the cams are already aggressive enough and it's more then 2k or so... remember you have to think its double the price of 2v cams... so the cash isn't worth the reward... 2k and get 20rwhp, or 4k and get 80rwhp? lol

You also have to remember.. if your going to do a GT up the right way, you need to do a car like Victors or Codes... which is a lot of money - code and victor have spent a lot of money... Realistically if i wanted to build a track car, i'd get a v6 shell and built it up and spend 10k and hand everyone there ***, really...

To be honest, there's just something about having a Cobra, i dunno... but really most 2v motors that run 600+ rwhp really aren't daily drivable and comfortable.. i have been in 700rwhp Cobras... that ride like there stock just a bit louder, haha.. mine rides awesome, and it pushing out 500rwhp or so now.. and its a nice daily driven car... I think really aggressive cams on a GT really ruins the ride as a daily driver.. but like i said to run over 450rwhp... you really have to replace EVERYTHING. build the axle, motor, tranny, and suspension... Depends on what you want...

For the record Victor.. if i ran into you (unknowingly) and got raped by your car.. first off, i'd know by the sound what your car was, and i'd be like nice effin car, what do you have done? lol - but then again im not your avg cocky cobra driver, lol...
Its ok..... We are both partners in depleting the o-zone layer and "causing" global warming. Damn tree huggers.....j/k
Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

there are a lot more complaints with the irs than the sold rear. there is a reason they went back to the solid with and gt500.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

I know i could get my gt to 400rwhp and take care of most people on the road easily.. I love my car and i would love to see it rip up the roads..... BUT
My car is an auto... I miss my standard SO bad! This is probably one of the biggest factors.

A cobra has always been my dream car and the 03/04 cobra is just the king of the crop when it comes down to the snakes....Fuc* the shelby!

And i am 18 living at home soon to be making 35-40k a year so money wont be a problem.. I plan on buying the cobra... doing a few mild mods and paying her off before i get up into the big power numbers.

So i guess when i really sit back and think about it... I love my car but i am never going to be happy with my auto.. And i will always want a cobra... So i guess in the end either way i look at it getting the cobra is the smartest way for me to go!

Thanks again guys...Duno what i would do without ya
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

how much longeryou want to live at home should be your real question.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

there are a lot more complaints with the irs than the sold rear. there is a reason they went back to the solid with and gt500.
Well that sucks.... So when you stomp on it is only one tire going to spin?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

how much longeryou want to live at home should be your real question.
Im in no rush to move out honestly... I would love to stay at home as i get through college but i duno if my gf is going to let that happen [&:].. Either way i plan on paying the cobra off as a first priority.

Quick Reply: 03 GT VS. 03/04 Cobra... AGAIN