4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much difference in sound w/ midpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How much difference in sound w/ midpipe?

The wifes car is loud but not loud enough to get pulled over for it.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: andrewclark

go o/r with the midpipe, much louder. and you should just instal it yourself, it isnt that hard.
Thanks for the feedback guys, and glad to hear it will sound like a different car. I will not go O/R mainly because it would be WAYY too loud, especially since I already have the Magnapacks. I don't want every cop in town to know when I go WOT. Even though the midpipe will be catted, it will only have 2 cats as opposed to 4, and they will be high flow cats., so it will still sound good and loud.
My wife can hear my car over a mile-and-a-half away when I'm WOT and I'm catted-X with the regular Magnaflow catback...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

You should try the slp midpipe.. I understand that you can just take out two pipes and replace them with cats if you wish. Its interchangeable!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: andrewclark

go o/r with the midpipe, much louder. and you should just instal it yourself, it isnt that hard.
Thanks for the feedback guys, and glad to hear it will sound like a different car. I will not go O/R mainly because it would be WAYY too loud, especially since I already have the Magnapacks. I don't want every cop in town to know when I go WOT. Even though the midpipe will be catted, it will only have 2 cats as opposed to 4, and they will be high flow cats., so it will still sound good and loud.
My wife can hear my car over a mile-and-a-half away when I'm WOT and I'm catted-X with the regular Magnaflow catback...
LOL damn, and you don't have the Packs do you? The thing is everybodies idea of loud is different. I should maybe listen to some cars in real life in my area and see how loud loud is. lol
Old 04-13-2007, 02:31 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Trust me if you spend $400 for a catted midpipe you are going to kick yourself in the *** when you hear it. Not much of a difference from stock. Catted is for people that have to pass emmisions.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Trust me if you spend $400 for a catted midpipe you are going to kick yourself in the *** when you hear it. Not much of a difference from stock. Catted is for people that have to pass emmisions.
Ok. [8D]

If you mean catted midpipe is only 1-2 hp different from O/R and quieter, then you would be correct...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Ok. [8D]

If you mean catted midpipe is only 1-2 hp different from O/R and quieter, then you would be correct...
You will notice a difference with an aftermarket with cats vs. stock.... Sound on a scale from 1-10 stock being 1

1- Stock
6- Aftermarket catted
10- Offroad
Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Thanks Adam, it's good to know I'll notice some different with a catted H over stock. Here are a couple clips of Magnapacks w/ a catted H, sounds pretty damn loud to me:

http://media.putfile.com/MRT-1

http://media.putfile.com/MRT-2

Still, may sound even BETTER with O/R, I gotta here these in person somehow. [:@][:@]
Old 04-13-2007, 02:44 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I beg to differ... I know I have a 4V, but when I went from the stock H to the MRT catted H, it really woke the car up. To me, the sound is just perfect, DEEP and loud. Its slightly mellow when cruising and really great at WOT. I'm glad I didn't go O/R but thats just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

I beg to differ... I know I have a 4V, but when I went from the stock H to the MRT catted H, it really woke the car up. To me, the sound is just perfect, DEEP and loud. Its slightly mellow when cruising and really great at WOT. I'm glad I didn't go O/R but thats just my opinion.
Nice man, and you have the MRT catted H too. Did it make idle more pronounced? Basically I like the loudness of my car at WOT now, but idle/cruising is just too quiet and "weird" sounding, sort of like something is holding it back from it's true sound (stock POS midpipe most likely).

Quick Reply: How much difference in sound w/ midpipe?