4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Where's my Traction Control button?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Where's my Traction Control button?

My TC is the vertical pedal to the right of the brake.

TC is available on '00 GT's as I have it. It's turned off but it's there. Like any other TC system it gets progressively more intrusive the further it gets pushed.

The manual states, "Wheel-speed sensors allow excess rear wheel spin to be detected by the traction control portion of the ABS computer. Any excessive wheel spin is controlled by automatically applying and releasing the rear brakes in conjunction with engine torque reductions. Engine torque reduction is realized via the fully electronic spark and fuel injection systems."

So brakes, pull timing, pull fuel.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

[blockquote]sorry about the bad info, I heard that on this site before. i was thinking about that too when I was typing it, "I hope this is right". Shows that even if you hear it on this site do your research cause everyone isn't always right. [/blockquote]
Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

fyi, I'm always right.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

yea, lol it doesnt cut off fuel, that would be dangerous. It pulls the timing. Cutting off fuel in the middle of a burnout=lean=disaster
Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: djb1187

yea, lol it doesnt cut off fuel, that would be dangerous. It pulls the timing. Cutting off fuel in the middle of a burnout=lean=disaster
Actually, it has the ability to. Same goes for redlining your car and free reving it. It cuts the fuel.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

fyi, derf is usually right too. unless he is disagreeing with me, then he's wrong every damn time.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
xpreshun

I'm going to noob you all up with this question, but when should TC be turned off and on?

I live in the bay area CA, and we really only get rain out her for a month or two. I assume during that time it would be wise to have it on. During the dry and sunny months, do I understand that if I leave it on I am losing power? Also, I assume if TC is turned off ABS is still on, correct? Thanks, and sorry if this is too off topic of the original question. Cheers.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

it doesn't do anything unless the idiot light with the spinning tire on your dash is illuminated, from what I understand, so you're not loing power. ABS is always on, I don't know of any way that ever shuts off, outside of pulling fuses or wires.

I usually leave mine on all the time, it's not like I'm losing traction and activating it at all during normal driving.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I turn it off almost everytime I drive the car. I can't wait to get a custom tune and turn it off for good. There are times when you just need to use the throttle.

the second my tires spin in the least little bit, the damn rear brakes lock up and the motor damn near dies out. best way to describe it is to say it acts like I just dropped the clutch in 1st gear without hitting the gas enough. I've also had it come on a few times when I romped it and during the 2nd gear shift, I broke the tires loose. that was really wierd. going about 40 mph and suddenly it's like the car died on me. I was kinda freaked out until I saw that stupid *** spining wheel on the dash.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

I turn it off almost everytime I drive the car. I can't wait to get a custom tune and turn it off for good. There are times when you just need to use the throttle.

the second my tires spin in the least little bit, the damn rear brakes lock up and the motor damn near dies out. best way to describe it is to say it acts like I just dropped the clutch in 1st gear without hitting the gas enough. I've also had it come on a few times when I romped it and during the 2nd gear shift, I broke the tires loose. that was really wierd. going about 40 mph and suddenly it's like the car died on me. I was kinda freaked out until I saw that stupid *** spining wheel on the dash.
That's because it hit the brakes, cut your timing, and eventually cut fuel.

Quick Reply: Where's my Traction Control button?