4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Whats better O/R X pipe or O/R H pipe?? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
cease4
1st Gear Member

Default Whats better O/R X pipe or O/R H pipe?? Why?

i want tp upgrade my exhaust system on my 99 cobra and i was thinking of an off road x pipe but not sure wat are the differences can anybody help and give me some good combinations of mufflers to go with that??
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Whats better O/R X pipe or O/R H pipe?? Why?

"H" sounds better. Deeper. Just like a stang should sound.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

In a nut shell, X deep and raspy, H deep, muscle car sound, h is better with chamberd, x is better with straight throughs.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

H is better alltogether.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

H is better alltogether.
haha sounds like someones a little biased....

It's all about personal preference. I think my SLP x and LMII's sound awesome. But I want an O/R X instead of catted X now.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The X-pipe is also suppose to offer better gas transfer and even amounts of pressure through to the tail pipes thus resulting in less backpressure and more horsepower. They also sound more sporty, not really my kinda sound but Bassani makes an awesome X-pipe. BBK also has an X-pipe but its not a true X like bassani where the tubes actually come together, the BBK has a center section just like a H pipe.

The H-pipe offers better performance and sound over a non crossed exhaust and has a muscle car rumble, it still allows almost perfect combustion resonance to reach the exhaust tips allowing for that classic odd lope.

With non catted systems you can also used leaded fuels without the fear of killing your cats.

I have heard people say that that you can lose as much as 20hp per cat and I have heard people say that you only lose 5hp per cat. From personal experiance with a single exhaust 75' El Camino with a 350 I felt no difference in power when I added the new cat, if anything it felt slightly torqier. The 350 was a 250hp engine with about 50,000 miles.

Because I live in California I will always run cats on my car but with the option of test tubes so that I can remove them for track days. Also because of the way that a cat is made (Thousands of little square holes) it breaks up the combustion pulse and lowers the sound quality of the exhaust. I think it was Bassani that offered test tube catted X-pipes.

Well best of luck.

-Eric-
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

imo... the H pipe sounds much much better then a Xpipe... I dont think there's anything better then a O/R Hpipe w/flowmasters, lol..
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 AM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

i like h pipe because it makes more of a muscle mustang sound while the x sounds more exotic, ferrari'ish sound
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

rofl I don't think I have ever heard anyone say my car sounds like a ferrari..

My car seems to be plenty deep/musclecar sounding to me, but at WOT it has a more agressive sound than with the old H pipe (granted a stocker).

Regardless, the performance between the two is nearly identical. One thing though, you don't really want a H pipe with a straight thru muffler like a magnaflow, and you don't want an X with a baffled muffler like a flowmaster.

Just find the muffler/catback you like the best, and pair it accordingly.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
One thing though, you don't really want a H pipe with a straight thru muffler like a magnaflow, and you don't want an X with a baffled muffler like a flowmaster.
I've heard plenty some Magnaflows that sound great with an H pipe.

Quick Reply: Whats better O/R X pipe or O/R H pipe?? Why?