4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

COBRA Overheating!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 AM
klarkent42
1st Gear Member

Default COBRA Overheating!!!!

So here's my situation......
About a month ago, my car started overheating. My cousin, who is a FORD and SVT certified tech, determined my thermostat was bad. I went ahead and replaced the thermostat, burped the cooling system and everything was fine. It ran perfect for about a week, then it all went to sh*t all over again. At that point I thought to myself, maybe I didn't purge the cooling system correctly.... so I took it to the "stealership" in my area (Vista Ford of Oxnard, which I've had many problems in the past with). They determined the thermostat I had installed was also bad. So I let them bone me for $340 thinking everything is going to be fine.....guess what happens next...... yeah, my f*cking car starts overheating again after about 2 weeks from the day FORD replaced the damn thermostat!!!!! So at this point I have no choice but to take it to that same ford stealership to have them look at it again!!!! Any suggestions??? what if I take the damn thermostat off completely?? what will that do?? I NEED HELP!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: COBRA Overheating!!!!

I'm not sure how you went through 3 thermostats in such a short time. The thermostat may not be the issue. You've got really really bad luck if you got two bad ones out've the box in a row. Take it back to the dealership and tell them that it's still overheating.

I guess if you took the thermostat totally out, it would be the same as it being wide open all the time? Really not a good idea, and not going to help.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 AM
MustangDavid
I ♥ Acer

When you say "overheating" it's out of the "normal range"? Lots of people think that if the nedle isn't directly in the middle this is a problem, and it's not.

I've heard of this in an f-body. If I was in your shoes I'd keep trying different thermostats, even if that meant replacing it every 2 weeks. It's an easy fix and i'm sure you can find one with a year/2year warranty so all it costs you to change is 5 min. under the hood and a trip to the parts store. That's just me though. I'm super cheap. You may want to sell it if the problem drives you nuts. Check out www.svtperformance.com, they may be more helpful.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:57 AM
klarkent42
1st Gear Member

when i say overheating, i mean OVERHEATING. the needle rises continuously until i turn off the car and it cools down.... any and all input helps though, i appreciate it. i wouldn't sell this car for a small issue like that, im sure its gonna get fixed. it would take a lot moreto pry my fingers from the steering wheel of myterminator, lol
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 AM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

honestly i know the eatons have an issue with heatsoak and it usually happens under prolonged use at high RPM but maybe theres a prob with that ORsome wires have melted and are causing a short somewhere... my crazy ideas =p
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangDavid

When you say "overheating" it's out of the "normal range"? Lots of people think that if the nedle isn't directly in the middle this is a problem, and it's not.

I've heard of this in an f-body. If I was in your shoes I'd keep trying different thermostats, even if that meant replacing it every 2 weeks. It's an easy fix and i'm sure you can find one with a year/2year warranty so all it costs you to change is 5 min. under the hood and a trip to the parts store. That's just me though. I'm super cheap. You may want to sell it if the problem drives you nuts. Check out www.svtperformance.com, they may be more helpful.
Yes, actually, in 99+ if the needle moves anything above like 40% you've got a problem... Using the digital readout my coolant temp reached 110* C (normal driving temp is 85-89* C)and the needle didn't even move (idle for a while, radiator fan did not kick on, followed by a 3 gear WOT blast... fan went on right after but coolant temp climbed to normally way too hot).

You CAN run it without a thermostat but it will not get up to temperature and will run pig rich all the time. This is a VERY temporary solution. If replacing the thermostat helps, try a different one, there is a slim chance that two could have gone bad but if a third one goes bad you should try looking at different things.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Doubt it's the stat.

Are you sure you aren't having an intermittant problem with the fans?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:19 AM
klarkent42
1st Gear Member

well, thats a good question, but from what ive seen, the fan is working fine. it stays on once the engine reaches the above normal temperature....
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

The cooling system is not super complicated. The radiator is pretty efficient even without the cooling fans (intended for idling at stop lights anyway), so if your overheating you may have a problem with your water pump (impeller prolly) or the coolant itself.

If you've changed out your coolant and t-stat already, then I think its time for a new water pump as opposed to more t-stats. Besides, the t-stat only actuates the fan (iirc) which at decent speeds makes very little difference. If you are overheating sitting at a light then maybe I would say check your fans/tstat, but overheating while in motion points to a water pump/radiator/fluid problem.

E.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

The cooling system is not super complicated. The radiator is pretty efficient even without the cooling fans (intended for idling at stop lights anyway), so if your overheating you may have a problem with your water pump (impeller prolly) or the coolant itself.

If you've changed out your coolant and t-stat already, then I think its time for a new water pump as opposed to more t-stats. Besides, the t-stat only actuates the fan (iirc) which at decent speeds makes very little difference. If you are overheating sitting at a light then maybe I would say check your fans/tstat, but overheating while in motion points to a water pump/radiator/fluid problem.

E.
Sorry, Sap... just not true... The fan is ECU-controlled. It toggles between certain temperature ranges that can be adjusted with a tune. If the thermostat sticks closed, you can still very well overheat while in motion. However, water pump, radiator, and fluid problems would be valid IF changing the thermostat did not make a difference. Both times he has changed it, everything was fine for a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: COBRA Overheating!!!!