4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW Installed.. One problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Installed.. One problem

hmm thats odd. My MGW is very quiet, not any noisier than stock, as a matter of fact it was quieter than stock in 5th gear. I would recommend purchasing that inner shift boot as well as double checking your gasket.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
tim1200
3rd Gear Member

I would call George at MGW,he is great to work withand will make sure that everything is okay.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

beautiful car you got there Tim
Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Stangstud

i have the inner dust boot and i doubled check the boot and gasket and everything is good. Its not that loud, if i just turn my radio on i wouldnt hear it but the first time i drove after i installed it i drove without theradio on for the sole purpose of listening to see i heard anything abnormanl, which i did. Ill probably never hear it again because i never drive without my cd player on but i just want to make sure this noise is not a problem.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

well then its normal or you dont have your shift **** on tight enuff.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Stangstud

Thanks for the comment, ill have to get some new pics up or a video after i get my exhaust, and shift know is on tight as it can go.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
tim1200
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

beautiful car you got there Tim
Thank you
Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I noticed this when I installed my MGW, however I had previously (pre-MGW) noticed the "in neutral/clutch out" mainshaft noise when the driver's door was open--mainshaft noise in neutral with the clutch out is common with manual transmissions, although the 3650 does seem a bit noisier than some.[/align][/align]The MGW does transmit more of it to the interior, however it's just a normal sound of the machinery--some time I hear it (mostly with the windows closed, radio off, andstopped at a light), sometimes I don't...kind' like a grandfather clock's chimes...[/align]
Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

I noticed this when I installed my MGW, however I had previously (pre-MGW) noticed the "in neutral/clutch out" mainshaft noise when the driver's door was open--mainshaft noise in neutral with the clutch out is common with manual transmissions, although the 3650 does seem a bit noisier than some.[/align][/align]The MGW does transmit more of it to the interior, however it's just a normal sound of the machinery--some time I hear it (mostly with the windows closed, radio off, andstopped at a light), sometimes I don't...kind' like a grandfather clock's chimes...[/align]
Heh same here man. Sometimes I hear everything going on down there, but other times it's silent as a mouse. I think alot of it depends on the temperature outside, and also how long the car has been driven that specific time. Still, I think some extra tranny noise should be expected from any aftermarket shifter.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: BuzzCut

My Pro 5.0 doesn't make any noise and it shouldn't. I think my factory shifter made more racket. If you have to put up with noise from a shifter as what has been posted here then there is a problem. Materials or engineering could fix this.
Sure, materials can fix it. You could make your shifter out of rubber, then it wouldn't make any noise at all, but when you have a solid metal connections down into your transmission and up into the car, you just will get some extra noise. My MGW is very quiet and I rarely hear it at all, especially now that I have exhaust and music is usually playing.
Manufacturers use different alloys, gaskets and material to stop noise What you posed is plain childish. Hey if you like the noise thats cool by me but if you expect quality then you would research and demand better. I did my homework in my situation and wasn't surprised by my results.

It is all about expectations, I wasn't going to allow my car to be a rattle trap.

Quick Reply: MGW Installed.. One problem