4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW Installed.. One problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: MGW Installed.. One problem

What on earth do you mean by "rattle trap", the tranny mainshaft makes normal bearing noise when spinning; and it may well be that some make more normal noise than others due to a whole variety of normal factors.Most of which are a result of mass manufacturing, where parts are made to acceptable tolerances.[/align][/align]Some combinations of the mass produced parts are are tighter than others and noisy, othersfit together more loosely and make noise, and some combinationscome together holistically and don't make any noise. But note that none of this necessarily has anything to do with service life, although upon occassion there are assemblies "made on Mondays" or whatever that fail before anyone would like--that's just part of mass production.[/align][/align]Gettin back to the shifter, the OEMunit has a very rubbery feel because the engineers were more concerned about NVH than shifting precision, after market shifters have been deliberately designed to place shifting precision concerns above NVH. [/align][/align]So, if you've got one of the noisier trannys you'll hear more noise; if you got one of the magic moment assemblies you won't. As for whether you hear it or not there are certainly environmental conditions (temperature, ambient noise, etc.) that affect the amount of noise generated and our ability to hear it; however there is also the fact that our brains have become conditioned by 30k years of evolution to mask out noises that do not represent "alarm signals". We become conditioned to normal noises--that's why we sometimes don't hear the clock chime even though we are in the same room...[/align][/align]
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Stangstud

Called george at MGW and he said its perfectly normal, its the throw out bearing engaging and disengaging when i press the clutch in and out. He said its normanl to hear more noise from an aftermarket shifter, just like everybody said, because the stock shifter has more rubber components to keep things quieter because its not made for performance.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

Wow, this is probably the most worthless debate that I have ever heard...

In the paperwork that comes with ALL aftermarket shifters they say noise WILL be transmitted, read your damn paperwork.

I really dont understand why people complain about it, is it REALLY that bothersome??

Just my .02 sorry I had to rant!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

Quick question, my check engine light just turned on. Would it have anything to do with poorly placed shift stops in the MGW? Would the light trun on becuase of this?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Good rant!--there seems to beconsiderable conflict in a lot of people's lives between havin a cushy cruiser and a real piece of machinery...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 03StangerGT

Quick question, my check engine light just turned on. Would it have anything to do with poorly placed shift stops in the MGW? Would the light trun on becuase of this?
[/align][/align]No way. however if you have a 3650 take the shift stops out, they are not needed, via Tremec and George at MGW...[/align][/align]What else have you changed recently?[/align]
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03StangerGT

Hahahaaaa
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
03StangerGT
2nd Gear Member

I havent put anything in lately (about 8 months since my cat back was put on), but i did just get the hood repainted a few weeks ago.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HOLLYWOOD99

Wow, this is probably the most worthless debate that I have ever heard...

In the paperwork that comes with ALL aftermarket shifters they say noise WILL be transmitted, read your damn paperwork.

I really dont understand why people complain about it, is it REALLY that bothersome??

Just my .02 sorry I had to rant!
Wow really? My paperwork that came with mine DIDN'T say that.... I don't have any noise so there isn't a problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Good rant!--there seems to beconsiderable conflict in a lot of people's lives between havin a cushy cruiser and a real piece of machinery...
What kind of silly remark is that? Are you trying to say if your car sounds like a hoopty it is a real piece of machinery? And to expect more is way off base? Obviously you have low expectations.

Quick Reply: MGW Installed.. One problem