4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing catback help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Installing catback help

So after school today I'm thinking on attempting to install the magnapacks to see if i can do it. I purchased some rhino ramps and 2 jack stands. What's the proper way to lift the car up for a catback install? I've never touched the car before so this could get VERY interesting
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
robs400
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Installing catback help

Swapping the exhaust isnt the hard part. The hard part is getting the car high enough in the air to get the stock exhaust off. Lots of people end up cutting it...I coudlnt bring myself to cutting thru new stainless steel exhaust though so I borrowed my buddies high lift jack and jack stands (Its meant for his one ton with 44" super swamper boggers). I had to remove the bolts that hold the shocks to the rear axle too, so that the axle would sag down. It definately helps to have an extra pair of hands. The pic over on the left was taken when I ahd the car up in the air so you have somewhat of an idea.

If you are not planning on getting a jack then you are most likely going to have to cut off the old exhaust....I have an SLP and it was split into three pieces so they were easy to install since they were much shorter and could be moved around easier. I'm not sure how the magnapacks are made.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

first off you should have got SLP they are easier to install but i took a jack and lifted it up an put three wood pallets under it but not everyone has those and two in the front
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Just cut that stock crap off with a sawz-all.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OzzDOA

Just cut that stock crap off with a sawz-all.
+1
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

n/t
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Why would he cut off his exhaust? He has a MAC catback, if he cuts it off he won't be able to use it again or resell it. Oh by the way bro, hang on to that MAC back for me incase you don't need it later, maybe I'll buy it off ya.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Didn't notice that he had a catback already. LOL yeah don't cut that. Why are you switching to magnapacks? I think MAC sounds better. But anyway jack it up at the diff then put jackstands under the jack points in the rear (on the body)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Didn't notice that he had a catback already. LOL yeah don't cut that. Why are you switching to magnapacks? I think MAC sounds better. But anyway jack it up at the diff then put jackstands under the jack points in the rear (on the body)
Well, if my O/R H pipe sounds like *** w/ straight through mufflers when I do get it I will go to a chambered design. Magnapacks are good quality but I'm starting to crave more of a chambered sound which is cleaner and sounds more muscular IMO.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Well, if my O/R H pipe sounds like *** w/ straight through mufflers when I do get it I will go to a chambered design. Magnapacks are good quality but I'm starting to crave more of a chambered sound which is cleaner and sounds more muscular IMO.
+1. I got my mac catback on last week & love it. I'll get clips and pics up soon...

Quick Reply: Installing catback help