4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo or supercharger?

My opinion has always been that daily drivers = centri and weekend warriors = KB/twin screw. Again, simply my opinion and it's based on practicality more than anything else. Turbos sort of fit both categories and are more dependant on the budget than anything else. I think your budget is just screaming for a centri with all the suspension mods or a KB with some suspension work.

You probably could do a turbo setup but depending on how much you fab yourself, the budget may be a little slim. Also, turbos should be all or nothing. Putting a turbo on a stock mod motor is almost like a waste, as it will be easy to make power but there will be so much left on the table. I had a shop do almost all of my work and a centri with supporting stuff like gauges, SFC's, etc. ran about $6k while a turbo setup was in the $14k range.I still would have been tuned around 400 rwhp regardless of which setup I used. The turbo just would have been more scalable for when I get a new motor. When I reach that point, I will part out what I have now and TT the dang thing.

Personally, I would do a Procharger D-1 or a Vortech (T-trim? help out Vortech guys) and all of the supporting mods with some change for a dinner and a movie. KB's are the shyt but I wouldn't want to drive one around all day, every day. When I can have a second stang, it will be twin screwed, even if my first stang is sporting a TT, just because they are so much fun.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Red02GT
1st Gear Member

$8 Grand Here's a couple of links

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_99_04.php

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...ducts_id=10017

http://www.proturbokits.com/store/sc...?idproduct=123

How much are forged internals? With an $8K budget I'd look at forging and going w/ the twin turbo.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Chrome99
2nd Gear Member

14 grand for a turbo setup is RIDICULOUS, hell if you look hard enough and wait long enough you might be able to find a 99+ GT with a turbo kit already installed on it for that much...

http://www.turbohorsepower.com/ These guys' kit looks pretty good, their kit is onthat silver900+ WHP 2v saleen that everyone drools over.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I don't think it was so bad, it was for the kit, motor work, suspension, axle, tranny, clutch, etc. Everything needed to make a reliable turbo'd DD. That torque can be a bitch on stock parts in everyday driving conditions. A lot of that was labor so if you can do it all yourself, kudos to you, but not everyone has the skill, tools, or timeto do it right. Not everyone on this forum is a full-timestudent with nothing but time on their hands and will gladly pay for labor, especially the qualified and reliable kind.

Edit: Dude, that kit alone is over $7k to your door. Even if you do it yourself you'll be around $14k with all of the supporting mods...

ORIGINAL: Chrome99

14 grand for a turbo setup is RIDICULOUS, hell if you look hard enough and wait long enough you might be able to find a 99+ GT with a turbo kit already installed on it for that much...

http://www.turbohorsepower.com/ These guys' kit looks pretty good, their kit is onthat silver900+ WHP 2v saleen that everyone drools over.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Chrome99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

I don't think it was so bad, it was for the kit, motor work, suspension, axle, tranny, clutch, etc. Everything needed to make a reliable turbo'd DD. That torque can be a bitch on stock parts in everyday driving conditions. A lot of that was labor so if you can do it all yourself, kudos to you, but not everyone has the skill, tools, or timeto do it right. Not everyone on this forum is a full-timestudent with nothing but time on their hands and will gladly pay for labor, especially the qualified and reliable kind.

Edit: Dude, that kit alone is over $7k to your door. Even if you do it yourself you'll be around $14k with all of the supporting mods...

ORIGINAL: Chrome99

I thought you ment JUST the turbo kit being 14k.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

If price isn't an issue, then go for a turbo because it is better performance wise. But there's nothing wrong with a vortech, it's good power for the money.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: BlOwNsNaKe

Is ProCharger better than Vortech?
Both good, however the piping for the Procharger looks like it was put together by a monkey!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

turbo is the best bang for the buck, but thats my opinion...you can get a complete kit from HP Performance
Stg 1-$6,400
Stg 2-$6,900
Stg 3-$7,900