4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Magnapacks with O/R Prochamber.. will I still get the blat blat blat sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default Magnapacks with O/R Prochamber.. will I still get the blat blat blat sound?

Okay after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that the Prochamber may be the best midpipe to get for my Mustang with which has the Magnapacks now.

X pipe = very raspy, and makes popping sounds, even if you get a catted X. Magnapacks are basically just glasspacks and it will make that glasspacky sound worse with an X.

H pipe = from what I've read it sounds awesome at idle, cruising but at WOT it sounds like a Harley, just alot of blat blat blat blat, sound and not very refined or smooth at all.

Prochamber = best of both worlds as far as being deep during normal driving, and yields the most HP/Torque gains. Also doesn't seem to have that "blat blat blat" sound when you go WOT. Or does it? I don't know anyone who has the Prochamber with Magnapacks, but it looks like this may be my best option.

I initially was skeptical of MAC products, but everybody seems to love them, and considering they make the Prochamber in STAINLESS STEEL, I am game. It actually will cost about the same as an MRT O/R H, but I'm thinking it may sound better. If my Packs still sound like crap, and give me that "blat blat blat" sound or the popping of glasspacks I will just get another catback, but keep the MAC Prochamber.

Thoughts, opinions?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnapacks with O/R Prochamber.. will I still get the blat blat blat sound?

Found a clip of the Magnapacks with an O/R Prochamber on a GT, I think it sounds great! WOT sounds amazing and still very deep and muscular at lower RPMs: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=MOV00207.flv

Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnapacks with O/R Prochamber.. will I still get the blat blat blat sound?

Bud the is no "know all end all" with these cars, with my new edge I changed my exhaust set up 4 times before I found the sound I liked (bbk o/r H with magnaflow magnapacks). You're gonna have to find that one out for yourself. I can say I only paid full price for one of those setup though (ebay FTW!)
Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Bud the is no "know all end all" with these cars, with my new edge I changed my exhaust set up 4 times before I found the sound I liked (bbk o/r H with magnaflow magnapacks). You're gonna have to find that one out for yourself. I can say I only paid full price for one of those setup though (ebay FTW!)
That's what I'm afraid of.. spending $2k on exhaust parts just before I get the sound I want. Ideally I'd like to find the right midpipe for my 'Packs. I think I am going to go w/ the Prochamber O/R after hearing that clip. Sounds like the Prochamber is the best of both worlds as far as midpipes go., and best of all it's stainless steel so it will last the life of my car.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The prochamber is a good mipipe, you'll grin when you get it. I got the bbk for $80 but I was gonna go with the prochamber, because I sold the magnaflow o/r x for $200. Not a fan of the x pipe sound, I like old school
Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

The prochamber is a good mipipe, you'll grin when you get it. I got the bbk for $80 but I was gonna go with the prochamber, because I sold the magnaflow o/r x for $200. Not a fan of the x pipe sound, I like old school
Hell yeah dude, I think we are on the same page. Some clips w/ the H pipe and Packs sound good, while others not so much. From what I've gathered it sounds superb at idle but when you step on it the sound becomes messy and "blat blat blat"y. I better order that Prochamber before I change my mind again haha.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Well, you will get the "blat blat blat" when you let off the gassort of, but hell at WOT the last variable shooting through my head is exhaust note.... You will getturned headswithout loosing the "muscle car" sound. That's the thing about the higher end straight through mufflers they all sound awesome. I ought to get a check from magnaflow though, because I've convinced a bunch of people into getting them.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Well, you will get the "blat blat blat" when you let off the gassort of, but hell at WOT the last variable shooting through my head is exhaust note.... You will getturned headswithout loosing the "muscle car" sound. That's the thing about the higher end straight through mufflers they all sound awesome. I ought to get a check from magnaflow though, because I've convinced a bunch of people into getting them.
Hey man! I found a very good exhaust clip of what I'm talking about. http://s147820104.onlinehome.us/BBK%20FINAL.WMV The first part of the clip is that of a '02 GT with LT headers, O/R Prochamber, and Magnapacks., and the second part of the clip is with LT headers, O/R H pipe and Magnapacks (in car) notice how it sounds like a machine gun going off when he guns it. Last part I'm not positive what setup he has.

Here is an excerpt from the guy who made the video describing the video he made :
" I use to have LT's, O/R H, and Magnapacks (their other catback without the mufflers), and it was terrible! It would make this high pitched machine gun noise at 3k RPM's and up. I could not stand it so I sold that catback and bought the Magnaflow. It sounded soooo much with this catback. It was nice and deep throughout the entire RPM band, I loved it.

Now the Packs did sound good on the setup I had to first begin with. LT's, O/R Prochamber, Packs. That was another sweet sounding system when paired together."

Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 AM
jpnelson1978
1st Gear Member

jay, i love the way the packs sound by themselves. you talked me into em and i love em. it sounds like you want to keep that deep clean tone, and hell thats what these sound like with the stock h pipe.its funny i thought my flowmasters were alot louder till i rolled the windows down and realized all i was hearing was drone with the flowmasters. the packs are hella louder.just a classy sportscar sound to me.im thinking when i get the loot im going with gears man. is your mgw still notchy in second gear?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpnelson1978

jay, i love the way the packs sound by themselves. you talked me into em and i love em. it sounds like you want to keep that deep clean tone, and hell thats what these sound like with the stock h pipe.its funny i thought my flowmasters were alot louder till i rolled the windows down and realized all i was hearing was drone with the flowmasters. the packs are hella louder.just a classy sportscar sound to me.im thinking when i get the loot im going with gears man. is your mgw still notchy in second gear?
Hey bro! Long time no hear from ya, glad to see you are still around. I guess I just want more sound. I want it louder, and of course, I want it to remain deep. Hence the reason I am straying away from an X pipe. The stock midpipe is EXTREMELY restrictive and basically isn't allowing the Packs to sound as good as they can be. The H pipe was appealing to me at first, but can cloud the sound of the Packs at WOT, as apparent by all the H pipe clips I've heard w/ the Packs. The Prochamber seems to be a great midpipe for our catback., I'm fairly set on it. I have never heard my Mustang from outside before, I guess I should have my friend drive it and see what it sounds like. I like the Packs but again, it could be alot better with the right midpipe.

4.10s will be nice! Be aware though with street tires you may have some major traction issues. Even with my stock 3.27 gearing and 245 tires the car can be a bit squirrely. I had 3.55s in my old Dodge Ram and upgraded to 4.10s and it made a big difference, you will feel it even more with the Mustang.

MGW is broken in now and I don't have the 1-2 problem nearly as bad as I did before. Sometimes it will "feel" like it's not completely in gear for the 1-2 but it's not as bad as it used to be. To tell you the truth the 4-5 gear shift can be annoying because of how much stiffer the MGW is compared to stock, and how in our cars you can't smoothly glide the shifter into 4-5., rather you have to sort of muscle it in neutral slam it over to the right, then go up., at least on my car.

Quick Reply: Magnapacks with O/R Prochamber.. will I still get the blat blat blat sound?