4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE 56K beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:10 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

you might want to add that to clean all mating surfaces with acetone and such into your article.. also maybe about spraying the head gaskets with that rtf stuff in the blue spray can... to make it easy for some people also there are 2 bronze links on each chain, and each of those goes on the timing marks...

its a great article though... btw, what did you torque those motor mount bolts to? the 4 that are on the mount itself and also the block to mount bolts?
I just wiped any dirt off of the mating surfaces and Im not sure what your talking about putting on the headgaskets but you are not suposed to put anything on these.

The motor mount bolts I just cranked down.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:14 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I think I could do something like this, I'm just too lazy and scared to do it, especially on my car.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Nice
Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

you might want to add that to clean all mating surfaces with acetone and such into your article.. also maybe about spraying the head gaskets with that rtf stuff in the blue spray can... to make it easy for some people also there are 2 bronze links on each chain, and each of those goes on the timing marks...

its a great article though... btw, what did you torque those motor mount bolts to? the 4 that are on the mount itself and also the block to mount bolts?
I just wiped any dirt off of the mating surfaces and Im not sure what your talking about putting on the headgaskets but you are not suposed to put anything on these.

The motor mount bolts I just cranked down.
its called "High-Tack" Permatex... i used it on a car i pulled heads from a a couple years ago, and also on a car i pulled the heads on 2 weeks ago. i used it on mine as well.... i talked to MMR and they said they use it on all their metal head gasket engines...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 AM
firstonraceday96
2nd Gear Member

sick write up man its already helped me out a lot thanks....
Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 AM
MustangDavid
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

Holy crap man! You must be a mechanic?
I do have some trainingbut this can be done aslong as you know how to turn a wrench and put a puzzle together.
Yeah. Turning a wrench has a lot to do with balancing & blueprinting. Yet you had it done at alocal machine shop??? Give me a break...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangDavid

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

Holy crap man! You must be a mechanic?
I do have some trainingbut this can be done aslong as you know how to turn a wrench and put a puzzle together.
Yeah. Turning a wrench has a lot to do with balancing & blueprinting. Yet you had it done at alocal machine shop??? Give me a break...
What are you talking about
Old 04-20-2007, 03:34 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

lol... thats what i was thinking as well...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:35 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

mustangdavid... balancing and blueprinting is done by machines which measure tollerances and they spin the crank and add and take off weight where needed. there is also alot more involved which im not sure what exactly, but you have to have some pretty fancy tools/machines to do this at home..
Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Honestly I just did it myself but with the motor still in the car. Oxfordgt helped me out the whole way. It's really not hard if you have some what of a mechanical knowlege. The easiest thing I can say was putting the heads on the block. The hardest was the valve covers since there is no room with the motor in the car.

Quick Reply: HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE 56K beware