4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

speed cal..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: speed cal..

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: HaV

if u do the speed cal first not only is it illegal cause your mileage will be screwed up, its stupid wait till the gears are installed and do it in the parking lot
And you have no idea what your talking about.

You can install it first if you set the dip switches to the stock 3.27's.. it wont change anything at that reading. When you get it back, just change the dip switches again to what ever ratio you put in. It'll take about 10 min tops to change the dip switches.

If you look in the sticky's I did a "how to" on the speed cal.. step by step on it. Its pretty simple to do.

im aware it isnt his intention... and why install it, and then spend more time recalibrating it.. i guess youre the type that likes to do sh*t twice? good luck with a header install, maybe you can put the left one on first and leave the other one stock until you get a tune haha

to the guy who asked why he didnt get a tuner, i see what you mean, cause then you can firm up shifts (auto) adjust for gear size, etc. but 400 bucks is pretty pricey to gain 10hp on 93 octane and thats what most people see, is the numbers. however, it would have been a better investment. a dyno tune would be a little cheaper and a hell of alot better.
There area fewdip switches on a speed cal. recalibrating it takes about 3 min, and most of that is staring at the paper figuring out which position each needs to be in... if you have the time to install it before hand (about an hour) then why not?

And even with a dyno tune having a handheld tuner is a good idea.. you can keep multiple tunes and switch between.. and e-mail with your tuner to change things when you do another modification, then reload the updated tune instead of taking it to a shop.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

if u do the speed cal first not only is it illegal cause your mileage will be screwed up, its stupid wait till the gears are installed and do it in the parking lot

You can install it first if you set the dip switches to the stock 3.27's.. it wont change anything at that reading. When you get it back, just change the dip switches again to what ever ratio you put in. It'll take about 10 min tops to change the dip switches.

If you look in the sticky's I did a "how to" on the speed cal.. step by step on it. Its pretty simple to do.

im aware it isnt his intention... and why install it, and then spend more time recalibrating it.. i guess youre the type that likes to do sh*t twice? good luck with a header install, maybe you can put the left one on first and leave the other one stock until you get a tune haha

to the guy who asked why he didnt get a tuner, i see what you mean, cause then you can firm up shifts (auto) adjust for gear size, etc. but 400 bucks is pretty pricey to gain 10hp on 93 octane and thats what most people see, is the numbers. however, it would have been a better investment. a dyno tune would be a little cheaper and a hell of alot better.
There area fewdip switches on a speed cal. recalibrating it takes about 3 min, and most of that is staring at the paper figuring out which position each needs to be in... if you have the time to install it before hand (about an hour) then why not?

And even with a dyno tune having a handheld tuner is a good idea.. you can keep multiple tunes and switch between.. and e-mail with your tuner to change things when you do another modification, then reload the updated tune instead of taking it to a shop.
yeah you can keep multiple tunes, but what happens if you cam the car, or get new heads.. or go F/I like i did what are those 3 tunes going to do for me? handhelds are generic tunes for a generic engine, when you start modding technically its custom, handhelds cant adjust for "custom" engines. you think a handheld can optimize you running underdrive pulleys, cams, etc.? you got to remember the 4.6 modular community is evolving, from what i see on here people are tired of bolt ons and are starting to dig into the motor with cams and rods.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

how much for re-sale on the speed cal u think?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: avlon06

how much for re-sale on the speed cal u think?
50ish or so.
Do a search on ebay to get a good idea
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

50ish or so.
Do a search on ebay to get a good idea
Thanks you kind sir!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

yeah you can keep multiple tunes, but what happens if you cam the car, or get new heads.. or go F/I like i did what are those 3 tunes going to do for me? handhelds are generic tunes for a generic engine, when you start modding technically its custom, handhelds cant adjust for "custom" engines. you think a handheld can optimize you running underdrive pulleys, cams, etc.? you got to remember the 4.6 modular community is evolving, from what i see on here people are tired of bolt ons and are starting to dig into the motor with cams and rods.

You completely missed what I was saying.
With a handheld tuner, you can have custom dyno tunes on hand to switch between them. You can have your valet tune, a race gas tune, and 91/93 octane tune for someone like me who's boosted. I never said anthing about using the tuner to make changes, only to load tunes you get from your local SCT guy or that you got off a dyno. Plus the data capturing modes and the ability to make little tweaks on occasion without having to take it in makes it worth while.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 PM
1badpony
2nd Gear Member

Am I crazy or is there no Speed cals on ebay, I have looked for over a week??