4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Midpipe today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:50 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Midpipe today!

Well, my prochamber arrives today. I know the passenger side exhaust manifold bolt is going to be totally homo... Any tips on getting that off? I've heard: PB blaster, heating it (I have a torch), and use a 15mm swivel head socket and extensions... The car is just going to be up on jack standsand I do have air tools and a compressor set to around 100 psi if need be... I do have an impact wrench but I think it's just going to be too weak to make any difference so I'm just going to go at it with a breaker bar if I can fit under the car with it.

SVTBill swapped his X a while ago and he has a major exhaust leak... does he just suck or doesthe exhaust need any gaskets or type of sealant I should pick up in case it doesn't come with the pipe?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Midpipe today!

Go to the local parts shop and get a Felpro gasket for the passenger side, drivers side doesn't use a gasket. The gasket that Mac will send you sucks.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

pretty sure since it is HIM, the exhaust just sucks [8D]
Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Go to the local parts shop and get a Felpro gasket for the passenger side, drivers side doesn't use a gasket. The gasket that Mac will send you sucks.
That's what I was wondering about, sweet, thanks.

ORIGINAL: laserred38

pretty sure since it is HIM, the exhaust just sucks [8D]
True, good ol' GTBill
Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Ok. Heres what you do. Get a bunch of extensions, a swivel, 15mm socket, all the cuss words in the book,and a pipe of some sort to use for leverage. Dont bother heating it, I didnt need to. Just make sure the socket is all the way on the bolt so you dont round it off. Then just use all of your strength and itll budge. But do soak it in PB blaster for at least an hour or two before you start, and it would be good to have someone there to help you because the stock midpipe is a heavy SOB. Once you get one side done, it makes it easier to have someone hold it in place while you do the other side, so all the weight isnt on those two nuts. As for the exhuast leak, jsut make sure the gasket it sitting properly. Youll see what i mean once you get the old pipe off. I suggest using some tape to holdthe new onein place, as it will burn off once you start the car. Just made sure all the nuts are tight and you shouldnt have a leak. When i put mine on there was no leak what so ever.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 PM
BigTurbo6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fizzics Boy

Ok. Heres what you do. Get a bunch of extensions, a swivel, 15mm socket, all the cuss words in the book, and a pipe of some sort to use for leverage. Dont bother heating it, I didnt need to. Just make sure the socket is all the way on the bolt so you dont round it off. Then just use all of your strength and itll budge. But do soak it in PB blaster for at least an hour or two before you start, and it would be good to have someone there to help you because the stock midpipe is a heavy SOB. Once you get one side done, it makes it easier to have someone hold it in place while you do the other side, so all the weight isnt on those two nuts. As for the exhuast leak, jsut make sure the gasket it sitting properly. Youll see what i mean once you get the old pipe off. I suggest using some tape to hold the new one in place, as it will burn off once you start the car. Just made sure all the nuts are tight and you shouldnt have a leak. When i put mine on there was no leak what so ever.
This is the part that scares me!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
ChrisZio04GT
1st Gear Member

Long skinny flat head screw driver for them 02s Me and my buddy put my slp xpipe on, my car only had 20k miles on it so all bolts came off super easy, I jacked the car up so we can both get under there, I also sprayed everything with PB blaster and put a Window fan on the ground with hood open so nothing was hot( I had to drive 10 miles to get home from work so it was needed) The way I did it was drop the Xpipe while My buddy was under it and he would balance it while I messed around with the 02s

As for them manifold bolt I used and impact gun with extension and it was soooo easy!

Good Luck and take the guys advice with the tape, I didnt think of that but I wish I did when I did it, we have the same year car so your bolts should come loose like mine!

PM me if you have questions.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 AM
keeno
2nd Gear Member

All my cussing came when I tried to get the o2 sensor plugs back together. Wires are barely long enough. Plug is way up behind the block. I crammed 1 hand way up by the pipe and used 2 fingers to get the plugs back together. ( took forever and all the skin off that arm) Good Luck! lol Oh , be sure to use the 2 1/4" reducer on the drivers side. Hopefully you won't have to replace the studs on that side. (per MAC directions).
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i cant wait to see SVTBills comments when he see this thread lol.

Shadow...good luck with the install...what catback/mufflers do you have on there to go with it?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

From my expericences with mac.. Since the midpipes are not all one peice they are going to leak no matter what. Their gaskets suck and their little ball joints suck even worse! You will have a ticking noise that you will not be able to get rid of...... I never recomend mac products...

And after i realized i had a ticking noise i took it to 3 shops who all said that thats just how mac is.....

Quick Reply: Midpipe today!