4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how to improve suspension more??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default how to improve suspension more??

this is what i have as of now into my suspension.... what else can i do to make it handle better, go straighter at the track, and hook up better?

Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace
KYB AGX Adjustable Struts
MM Full Length Sub Frames
Steeda CC Plates
Steeda Upper and Lower Aluminum Control Arms
Ford Cobra 13" Brake Upgrade Kit
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
QA1 K member
QA1 Eco Control arms
MMR Coil overs
MM 6 point roll cage w/ swing out door bars
MM Panhard bar

if you notice, i have stock rear springs as of how...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:05 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how to improve suspension more??

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

this is what i have as of now into my suspension.... what else can i do to make it handle better, go straighter at the track, and hook up better?

Steeda CC Plates
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
QA1 K member
QA1 Eco Control arms
MMR Coil overs
MM Panhard bar

I have no clue, but when is she gonna be ready???????????
Old 04-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

whats the spring rate is on the front? what shocks are you running? I would also suggest removing the uca's and buying a ta ditching the 4link for a 3 link setup. It'll make the rear plant a bit better as the torque arm will control windup much better than uca's in the stock position will. Also if your doing the 3 link setup you should check with mm on what spring rate they would recommend to match your front, you will be upping spring rate for the rear tho. When you say track, I'm assuming your talking about drag and not open track, or autox, so some lakewood shocks would be something you should look into. Since I'm assuming your dragging, look into some weld lights (lighter rims) and some mickey thompson street radials, they are sticky tires that you can drive on the street to the track(watch out for those high rpm launches tho, your 28 spline rear will chew itself up due to the excess traction.)

Last thing is, get rid of the steeda lca, and buy some drag lca's, it's not necessary but this is just my opinion, steeda is not a performance company, they make more bling than anything. Hell I think Granatelli would make better perf parts than steeda, but thats just personal opinion. Look into some mm extreme duty lca's or griggs racing lca's. They do extensive testing, and if your dropping money in your suspension, I would think it's better to do things right the first time.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

Steeda CC Plates
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
QA1 K member
QA1 Eco Control arms
MMR Coil overs
MM Panhard bar

I have no clue, but when is she gonna be ready???????????
tomorrow!!!!!! woot woot! i cant wait to start her up... all that is needed is the driveshaft needs to be put on, passenger side header, tranny fluid and shifter.... shouldnt take more than 4 hours... oh, also the front suspension such as the coil overs which better be here tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

whats the spring rate is on the front? what shocks are you running? I would also suggest removing the uca's and buying a ta ditching the 4link for a 3 link setup. It'll make the rear plant a bit better as the torque arm will control windup much better than uca's in the stock position will. Also if your doing the 3 link setup you should check with mm on what spring rate they would recommend to match your front, you will be upping spring rate for the rear tho. When you say track, I'm assuming your talking about drag and not open track, or autox, so some lakewood shocks would be something you should look into. Since I'm assuming your dragging, look into some weld lights (lighter rims) and some mickey thompson street radials, they are sticky tires that you can drive on the street to the track(watch out for those high rpm launches tho, your 28 spline rear will chew itself up due to the excess traction.)

Last thing is, get rid of the steeda lca, and buy some drag lca's, it's not necessary but this is just my opinion, steeda is not a performance company, they make more bling than anything. Hell I think Granatelli would make better perf parts than steeda, but thats just personal opinion. Look into some mm extreme duty lca's or griggs racing lca's. They do extensive testing, and if your dropping money in your suspension, I would think it's better to do things right the first time.
before the car goes to the track, it will have my eaton 31spline LSD, probably some stange axles (not bought yet), and a T/A diff cover. so the rear end isnt a problem...

the front springs are 12" 300lb spring rate... i know its way to stiff for drag, but i will be running 2 different springs changing them out for track and street... im looking into some 14" 175's for the track... i have looked into the torque arm, but didnt know if it was worth the 600ish for a heavy duty one, but i think i will be investing into one now.. considering i can sell my upper control arms to some local kid or something. the struts/shocks on the car right now are the adjustable kyb agx's... 4 adjustments in the front and 8 in the back.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

When are you going to get it tuned? We HAVE to go for a cruise.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

When are you going to get it tuned? We HAVE to go for a cruise.
probably getting a tune the end of next month or mid july... it just all depends.. i still need my fuel system to push my maddd boost/nitrous. lol

yet, im still up for cruising in it probably sometime next week.... im giving it a week or so before i go more than 10 miles from my house. lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I would recommend a torsen lsd, for your rear instead of an eaton. The Torsen is just has a much better bias than the eaton units.

make sure you mark out on your c/c plate where your towers need to be in order for them to be aligned with the 300lb front and the 175lb springs, it'll help out with alignment costs.

Your 300lb springs may be a bit stiff once you get a different set of springs in the rear, I'm running 225lb fronts and 325 lb rears and I'm right in the sweet zone on my car.. So I would check with the manufacturers of the rear spring that you will end up with. Hope I've helped some, and good luck man, I can't wait till the day I get to take my car to the dyno shop cause I need to^^
Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Steeda is a bling bling company!!?!?!?

Hell, one of the big magazines (MM&FF or 5.0, don't remeber) did a side by side test of the steeda05 GTvs eithera salleen or roush SUPERCHARGED 05 GT.. and the steeda smoked them on the track.

IMO your simply wasting money getting a really expensive lower control arm (comparing non adjustable to non adjustable etc). The only real advantage to the more expensive ones is weight reduction, but honestly they don't weigh that much anyway.

Comparing my cheap *** blue oval ones to my buddies much more expenisve salleen etc and whats the difference? They still have the same lenght and contact points, and neither flex....

Steeda doesn't just make shifter ***** and chrome interior parts...

Edit: Racer: I dont see any reason you cannot use the same spring for autox and drag racing with your adjustable shocks/struts. Even the 4cyl foxbody springs (being a mostly drag racing setup) I have in the front atm are still worlds better handling wise than the stockers because of the adjustables. The car gets great transfer at the track, and from behind on twisty roads you can barely see any body roll (with the shocks/struts at 6/6 to 8/8).

Swapping the springs out isn't that bad, but doing it every time you go to the track must be a major PITA.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea, i dont plan on switching the rear springs as well for the track... the front ones arent as big as pain in the *** since i remove the sway bar as well and already have the front of the car up in the air...

Quick Reply: how to improve suspension more??