4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

For those of you that think MAC headers cause your engine to burn oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default For those of you that think MAC headers cause your engine to burn oil

I thought the same thing. I installed MAC longtubes almost a year ago and right after I started burning oil bad which lead to spun bearing and needing a rebuild. I searched on here and and other forums and saw all the threads about MAC being bad and causing this. So I tore down the engine and saw dry rotted valve seals (common problem with ford[:@]). Well I replaced the valve seals and built a forged engine. I reinstalled the MAC longtubes and not a single problem. No oil consumption! If you installd MAC L/Ts and you burned oil then you have something wrong with your engine and better look for it and not blame the headers.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those of you that think MAC headers cause your engine to burn oil

Word, I've had my MAC headers for almost 2 years and haven't really had any problem. Well, the shop that installed them did something and I blew my motor right after they were put on but I don't think it was the headers.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those of you that think MAC headers cause your engine to burn oil

I don't see how headers could cause oil consuption on a good engine anyway. If it was using oil before the headers it will use it after. If not then if won't.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

Anyone that says the mac headers cause motor damage.......must have a set of the headers attached to there brain. I love mine.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I have bbk lt's, but I always knew that was bull ****. They're headers really has nothing to do with oil consumption.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Exactly, anyone who said that was absolutely clueless as to how cars work. The piping for the exhaust in no way affects the internals of the engine. The best you could argue would be something about backpressure.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Exactly, anyone who said that was absolutely clueless as to how cars work. The piping for the exhaust in no way affects the internals of the engine. The best you could argue would be something about backpressure.
Not to stir up anything but.......... The piping that goes to you EGR (From the exhaust manifold)DOES run back into your intake and back into thecombustion chambers. The complaint about the MAC product is that the weld lag left over from productiongets sucked past the EGR Valve and into the cylinders. Thus scarring the cylinder walls and resulting in burning of oil (oil past the rings). I believe this could happen and if I was to buy MAC (or any ) headers I would WASH them out before installation.

I just state the facts.....Do not hate

Later
Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

Just to save some times for the nay sayers about the above post:

Wikipedia:

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a NOx (nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide) reduction technique used in most gasoline and diesel engines.
EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. Intermixing the incoming air with recirculated exhaust gas dilutes the mix with inert gas, lowering the adiabatic flame temperature and (in diesel engines) reducing the amount of excess oxygen. The exhaust gas also increases the specific heat capacity of the mix lowering the peak combustion temperature. Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR serves to limit the generation of NOx. NOx is primarily formed when a mix of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperatures.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

[&:] I can't imagine ANYONE could manufacture a product that poorly, though I can understand that that would obviously cause major problems if it were true. I just have a hard time believing anyone with any more of a name than "Bob's Header Shop" could be that careless. I'd be very suprised to see that actually be the case, but if it were then yes, that'd be a reason why headers could cause oil to leak.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

[&:] I can't imagine ANYONE could manufacture a product that poorly, though I can understand that that would obviously cause major problems if it were true. I just have a hard time believing anyone with any more of a name than "Bob's Header Shop" could be that careless. I'd be very suprised to see that actually be the case, but if it were then yes, that'd be a reason why headers could cause oil to leak.
Look at the Lightning PCV system......FORD has it running from the valve cover to the intake boot and under boost....Sucks oil into the intake. **** poor design by FORD and not a Mom and pop brand. I have seen the lag left behind in welding (Maint shop here at the plant) and those flakes could scratch the HELL out of the cylinder walls. **** poor designs are everywhere and in everything...just gotta be careful when choosing. BTW...I bypassed my PCV system on my Lightning.....Oil into the intake and on to the intercooler cannot be good.

Quick Reply: For those of you that think MAC headers cause your engine to burn oil