4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ive been hearin a lot about blown spark plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ive been hearin a lot about blown spark plugs...

Just dont be a dumbass. Do you know what snug means? You can feel whats too much. Hand tight+ 1/4 turn is also great.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orangedrp007

hey you guys have almost the same sig. pic.!! except one of you likes women and the other likes baboons? isn't that how HIV got introduced into humans?
HAHAHAAAHAHA!!

****in priceless!!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Dude it ****ing sucks. I hand tighten all the plugs first when I put them in then use a wrench and get it in snug. My motor wasn't ran for 2 months cause I took the heads off got them reconditioned then I put them back on. I got all the plugs hand tight but noticed that one wouldn't get hand tight. I put a wrench on it and it got a little better. I took a chance and it blew. Not like it wasn't gonna happen anyway or that I would need to get it heili-coiled. Long story short, I'm out 830 dollars now. Just use ani-seize on a cold motor like everyone said. I have never used a torque wrench but for now on I am getting my plugs changed at a dealer since our ****ing heads are so ****ing sensitive.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 PM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

Stupid question, but what is antiseize???
Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

Dude it ****ing sucks. I hand tighten all the plugs first when I put them in then use a wrench and get it in snug. My motor wasn't ran for 2 months cause I took the heads off got them reconditioned then I put them back on. I got all the plugs hand tight but noticed that one wouldn't get hand tight. I put a wrench on it and it got a little better. I took a chance and it blew. Not like it wasn't gonna happen anyway or that I would need to get it heili-coiled. Long story short, I'm out 830 dollars now. Just use ani-seize on a cold motor like everyone said. I have never used a torque wrench but for now on I am getting my plugs changed at a dealer since our ****ing heads are so ****ing sensitive.
How much time passed between the change, and when the plug blew?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMan528

It's a lubricant that goes on the threads that makes it so it doesn't seize to the threads due to heat. You can get some at a Pep Boys or Autozone.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpartanStang

How much time passed between the change, and when the plug blew?
Well I didn't have the headers on the car so I put the motor together and put the plugs in then got it towed. After the headers where installed it was started once. I then picked it up monday started fine and started to drive home when I was leaking coolant. Pulled into a gas station and noticed it was my thermostate housing. Replaced that and started it a few more times to check for leaks. Then on like the 4th start up it popped. I knew exactly what plug it was too when it happend because it was the one that wouldn't get tight. I kinda figure it would pop, I'm just pissed cause I have done the spark plugs a lot on my car and never once cross threaded them or anything. The only thing I can think of is that the shop that reconditioned the heads may have messed up my threads.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
MustangMan528
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMan528

It's a lubricant that goes on the threads that makes it so it doesn't seize to the threads due to heat. You can get some at a Pep Boys or Autozone.
I'm still confused....
Old 04-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

It's kinda like white litheum greace. You put it on the threads of your spark plug so that they don't seize to the head. It makes it easier to get them out and also so that you don't strip them getting them out.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:02 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

The plug in a 4.6 are taper seat plugs. No more than a 1/16th turn. If you crank a 1/4 turn in there that isn't good. Anti seize keeps the disimilar metals aluminum/steel from welding itself together over time. We use it extensively in the aircraft business and it makes a big difference when disassembling components after long periods of time.

Quick Reply: Ive been hearin a lot about blown spark plugs...