4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 AM
superman71

Default 2 questions

1) I have a $1000 to spend and am looking to increase my hp in the 1/4 mile the best for now. I am getting lots of mixed opinions. What do you think and What is your guess on what my hp will be?

2) If your a decent driver, what is the stock 1/4 mile time?

2003 Mustang GT 5 sp
Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 questions

gears, n2o, suspension.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

1) 90% of people will tell you to get nitrous. Its the best 'bang for the buck'.

2) I have seen stock ones run 13.8 but "decent driver" you should be hitting 14.1-14.5.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 AM
superman71

What's the best setup? I drive a hr to work everyday on a crappy highway with big divets. any recomendations based of that?

what suspension work excatly? just lowering springs?(str8wick3d) I am not wanting any nitrous right now or drag tires.

I have priced out that I can get a K&N FIPK intake, magnaflow exhuast, and a superchip.

thanks for all the help so far.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Don't bother with the CAI. If anything, look for a slightly used intake off of Ebay or the for sale section here. You buy new and $250 of your grand is gone with no gains to show for it.

If you don't want to go nitrous...and are soley interested in quarter mile times...
-Do gears. Do a search here to research them a bit. They are discussed a TON. W/O nitrous this should be a WILL DO on your list.

Optionals:
-Short throw shifter, mines an auto, so do a search [8D] (This actually might belong in the WILL DO list)
-Suspension. Lowering springs will hurt traction. Get new shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, and subframe connectors. Some GTs have been known to get into low 13's with little more than good suspension setups.
-Tuner, instead of a superchip/speedchip. Won't add much hp stock, but will adjust speedo for gears.
-Exhaust. Will only add a few hp but will make the car sound like it should. Catback and midpipe at least.
-Sticky tires, if you don't already have them.

You won't make any big power on a 2v without a lot more than a thousand bones. You can get a good start though.

Adam was right about the stock times, but I have learned that it greatly depends on your elevation. See this thread too. Its a goodun.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Don't bother with the CAI. If anything, look for a slightly used intake off of Ebay or the for sale section here. You buy new and $250 of your grand is gone with no gains to show for it.

If you don't want to go nitrous...and are soley interested in quarter mile times...
-Do gears. Do a search here to research them a bit. They are discussed a TON. W/O nitrous this should be a WILL DO on your list.

Optionals:
-Short throw shifter, mines an auto, so do a search [8D] (This actually might belong in the WILL DO list)
-Suspension. Lowering springs will hurt traction. Get new shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, and subframe connectors. Some GTs have been known to get into low 13's with little more than good suspension setups.
-Tuner, instead of a superchip/speedchip. Won't add much hp stock, but will adjust speedo for gears.
-Exhaust. Will only add a few hp but will make the car sound like it should. Catback and midpipe at least.
-Sticky tires, if you don't already have them.

You won't make any big power on a 2v without a lot more than a thousand bones. You can get a good start though.

Adam was right about the stock times, but I have learned that it greatly depends on your elevation. See this thread too. Its a goodun.

This isn't nessicarrily true. you can do a drop on the car and still get improved traction. the front fox 4cyl springs and rear roush springs dropped the car pretty well, but its still hooking far far better than stock.

For 1000 bucks, I would look into getting a set of 3.73s or 4.10s installed (400?). After that, get a set of adjustable shocks/struts (450?). that leaves you with enough (150) for a set of lower control arms. With a setup like that, you will sure be maximising your launch on street tires.

if your still spinning then look into some drag radials. you can drive a tire like a nitto as a DD if you don't drive like 30K a year. i get about 10-12K out of em.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

ive always heard exhaust and gears

[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

i would say gears and exhaust because if anything you want your car to sound good, then with money, if any, left over get some suspension goodies
Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superman71

What's the best setup? I drive a hr to work everyday on a crappy highway with big divets. any recomendations based of that?

what suspension work excatly? just lowering springs?(str8wick3d) I am not wanting any nitrous right now or drag tires.

I have priced out that I can get a K&N FIPK intake, magnaflow exhuast, and a superchip.

thanks for all the help so far.

I though you said you were going for 1/4 mile times???????? Traction and an extra 100hp doesnt sound good?

All that suspension, exhaust, gears, etc..... will help out well, but nothing compared to a $300 set of tires.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:03 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

i say gears and cams, or cams and exhaust if youre worried about the gears hurting your gas mileage

Quick Reply: 2 questions