4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a lil help from a pro please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Military_man_88
1st Gear Member

Default a lil help from a pro please

Wondering if I could get some help..I not very mechanicly inclined. I have a 03 mustang GT and want some hp so I figured I would put a supercharger on it right..well I dont know anything about my car and I am in Iraq ao I cant check it..lol..I have a few items I have seen on ebay. but dont know what all I will need and if 9psi is to much and if the plastic manifold needs to go and if I need a fuel pump and if I need new injectors and what size..as you can see I am kinda lost here..lol..
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: a lil help from a pro please

What kinda supercharger? With 9# of boost your probably gonna be lookin at around 350 rwhp on an otherwise near stock engine. Gonna need 36# injectors, bigger fuel pump. A mass air meter with a separate IAT would be smart too. Other than that, thats it.

I went 42# injectors and a Lightning mass air meter, but I made a lil over 400 hp at the time and for me even their alittle big but will give me room to grow.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Military_man_88
1st Gear Member

well ****..thats like another G I was thinking I could get off cheap by going threw E-bay but I cant. How do I go about hooking it up..or shoudl I pay out and have somebody do that to? my roomate told me that 42s would be to big thats why I dod not buy them..but he does not know aobut new cars so I came here.. one of my other frineds told me that the manifold would go to hell cause it was plastic and to buy a cobra one..should I do this..and a 70 mm throttle body?

ebay supercharger
Old 12-08-2004, 02:50 AM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

the plastic manifold is fine it will work. the bullet is better which is for 2v engines like ours. the cobra one is only for a 4v engine. if u are going boosted the 75mm is nice. if u get a bullet it has a twin 57mm throttle body. depending on ur cash flow and the brand of supercharger u get I would save money and instead of getting the intake get an intercooler/aftercooler. also a suspension to get the power u will be making to the ground. oh the plastic can go to hell if u are running N2O and have a backfire. but i am not a pro LOL
Old 12-08-2004, 05:02 AM
Military_man_88
1st Gear Member

well I am looking at a saleen. I am in Iraq cash is not a problem..lol..
Old 12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

have u looked at roush i think ey make nice cars also.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Military_man_88
1st Gear Member

they are nice but I was refering to the superchrger it is a saleen..I dont know if the guy is jsut trying to see it or if it will really go on my 03 gt stock
Old 12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
fast4door
2nd Gear Member

OK, the big Q is where are you normally stationed, or are you NG/Res? If you are active and home station in the states, there are many of us on here that are military and can help you get the work done at a reputable place without getting ripped off, plus the ability to hookup with someone when you get back.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

If you go with saleen, Keene Bell, eaton or any other supercharger that mounts on the top of the engine, you're probably getting a new intake manifold anyway. If your going for centrifugal (Vortec, procharger), the bullitt might be worth looking into however it's as much for cosmetics as it is power. I'm not certain on this but I think the bullitt may allow you to use a nice big cobra throttle body. If this is the case it might be worth it. Just make sure when ordering the SC that you get the right tubes to hook it up (round or oval TB).

MDs advice is good (36lb injectors) The green topped Bosch 42lb/hr injectors are harder to come by (i've heard they are no longer in production) and thus even more expensive than they already were.

The fuel pump upgrade is relatively inexpensive (like $100) and worth every penny.

As far as Mass Air Meters go, calibration is linked to your injectors so if you up your injectors, you'll either want to recalibrate your Mass Air Meter or get one already calibrated for your injectors. Certain year Lightning MAMs are already calibrated for 36 lb/hr injectors (the other years are 42) I'm not sure which so you'll have to ask someone else however, the lightning MAM also is 90 mm wide and relatively inexpensive compared to some other aftermarket ones.

I would suggest when choosing a supercharger set up to seriously consider getting an intercooled one (colder air is denser)

FS
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Military_man_88
1st Gear Member

Im NG but out of Ft. Riley and live in Leavenworth. I bought it on leave and now I want it to fly. I got the money to do it right. I guess they do have a place you can work on it for free in riley to. did not even think of that. so whats your mos and where you stationed?

Quick Reply: a lil help from a pro please