4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air Silencer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Air Silencer

Fo Sho, that was my first mod

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Remove the silencer and get a K&N drop in air cone....
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Those who recommend removing it have no knowledge of the dynamics of the pulsed air flow nature of the intake air column (clue: the whole thing is a somewhat complex resonant chamber), and the benefit of its extension into the wheel well to ensure that cooler air is sucked in.[/align][/align]Removing the snorkle will accomplish nothing except make the intake noise louder, and allow hotter underhood air into the intake--if anyone has dyno charts showing that removing the snorkle makes even 1/10th of a rat's backend of difference I'd love to see them. [/align][/align]Fact is that the Mustang 4.6L OEM intake is a pretty good,albeit ugly, CAI (the Crown Vic people use them as upgrades); and despite what the folks selling aftermarket kits assert there isn't much, if any, room for improvement other than "all hood's up night at Sonics"bling...[/align]
Old 04-28-2007, 12:31 AM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

i couldnt stand lookin at it anymoreso i ripped it out...besides id rather have a hole twice the size goin to my air filter...theres like a quarter inch gap...how much hot air could possably be gettin in...not enought to hurt it
Old 04-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Those who recommend removing it have no knowledge of the dynamics of the pulsed air flow nature of the intake air column (clue: the whole thing is a somewhat complex resonant chamber), and the benefit of its extension into the wheel well to ensure that cooler air is sucked in.[/align][/align]Removing the snorkle will accomplish nothing except make the intake noise louder, and allow hotter underhood air into the intake--if anyone has dyno charts showing that removing the snorkle makes even 1/10th of a rat's backend of difference I'd love to see them. [/align][/align]Fact is that the Mustang 4.6L OEM intake is a pretty good,albeit ugly, CAI (the Crown Vic people use them as upgrades); and despite what the folks selling aftermarket kits assert there isn't much, if any, room for improvement other than "all hood's up night at Sonics"bling...[/align]
Makes sense man, since it's a narrower opening the air that's forced into the intake is colder, and colder = better, at least for engines. I remember someone giving the example before if you blow on your hand with your mouth wide open it's warm, but if you blow air against your hand with your lips pursed or close together the air is cold. Same basic principle.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Makes sense man, since it's a narrower opening the air that's forced into the intake is colder, and colder = better, at least for engines. I remember someone giving the example before if you blow on your hand with your mouth wide open it's warm, but if you blow air against your hand with your lips pursed or close together the air is cold. Same basic principle.
Remove the damn silencer it's not going to hurt you. It'll net a slight gain. Just think of it this way..."the more the better." MM&FF removed it and they gained a small amount of power. If it was up to this guy up here they would never sell CAIs and cars such as the S197s which respond great to a CAI/Tune would never do it because less air is better.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:57 AM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

owning a mustang and being conservative just dosnt work
Old 04-28-2007, 12:57 AM
blown_cobra

I remember someone giving the example before if you blow on your hand with your mouth wide open it's warm, but if you blow air against your hand with your lips pursed or close together the air is cold. Same basic principle.
[/quote]

Run a couple hundred yards and try breathing with your lips pursed or close together and see how you breath, then run a couple hundred yards and breath with your mouth wide open and tell us which is better. The engine is sucking in air not blowing.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

When i blow out with my lips together its still hot? Could my a/c be out [&o]??
Old 04-28-2007, 01:31 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blown_cobra

I remember someone giving the example before if you blow on your hand with your mouth wide open it's warm, but if you blow air against your hand with your lips pursed or close together the air is cold. Same basic principle.
Run a couple hundred yards and try breathing with your lips pursed or close together and see how you breath, then run a couple hundred yards and breath with your mouth wide open and tell us which is better. The engine is sucking in air not blowing.

rofl that was a much better analogy - and true too!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:11 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

i removed mine and put a K&N filter in, the car is some much louder now sounds nothing like stock

Quick Reply: Air Silencer