4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust help!!!

one of the other highlights to buying the full catback, is that its modular.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

I was just reading another post that said some guy tried to get the lm1's welded in and the guy said they wouldnt fit and **** and that this would cost a lot of money. Any truth to this you think or should my lmII's go in smoothly?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

just take the money that he is gonna pay for the mufflers and keep it till you getthemoney and buy the catback
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

yea do the full system . .slp LM 1!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustanggt9589

I was just reading another post that said some guy tried to get the lm1's welded in and the guy said they wouldnt fit and **** and that this would cost a lot of money. Any truth to this you think or should my lmII's go in smoothly?
Because of the slip-fit design there might be an issue. I'm not sure, I don't have any welding experience. One end of the muffer is "enlarged" to 2 5/8" toslip over the 2 1/2" piping used on the rest of the system. So on one end of each muffler you'll have 2 1/4" pipingmeeting 2 5/8" and on the other, 2 1/2" pipingmeeting 2 1/4".

Oh and if you're looking for a deal on LM 1s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320109873473

Just don't believe theBS about them costing 500 new.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
deadsexy383
2nd Gear Member

see, heres the thing now that you are welding them in, because i had my flows welded in. whenever you actually upgrade your catback, you are going to have to cut out the exhaust because of spacing. and then you wont even be able to use the LM's anymore because they are welded in, so now you have this really nice part that is useless to you. you should really suggest this to your dad. you can pay that money now for a temporary fix and then end up paying the whole amount again later, or you can just pay for the catback now, and benefit. plus the install is friggin' easy. i just got done installing my x-pipe and magnaflow magnapack exhaust this weekend. the magnaflows took like an hour maybe. finding the right tools is what tooks the longest. so like i said, tell your dad it's wasting money and a good part.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

See if your dad will give you the money for the install and the mufflers, it's better to wait it out and do things right the first time. Also if you must get it installed then go get yourself some heat resistant rustoleum and spray the hell out of the welds the exhaust shop does.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

I went to the guy whos doing them yesterday and he said he's never heard of ****ing slp im like how do you do exhasut for a living and never heard of slp loudmouths. But o well hes going to put them in, but he said that he might have to fabricate them to fit or whatever. I just want the ****ing things in at this point as long as they sound good and they go in. He gave me a quote for 150 to 250 to put them in 150 is not abd but 250 seems a little much for him just to cut off my stock mufflers and put in the new ones. I might try somewhere else for a lower price. Does this sound reasonable???
Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

I went to the guy whos doing them yesterday and he said he's never heard of ****ing slp im like how do you do exhasut for a living and never heard of slp loudmouths. But o well hes going to put them in, but he said that he might have to fabricate them to fit or whatever. I just want the ****ing things in at this point as long as they sound good and they go in. He gave me a quote for 150 to 250 to put them in 150 is not abd but 250 seems a little much for him just to cut off my stock mufflers and put in the new ones. I might try somewhere else for a lower price. Does this sound reasonable???
Seriously for that price on top of buying the LM1s orLM2s you can buy the whole system. You can install it yourself too, its not hard. You just need jack, jackstands, a couple wrenches or sockets, and a hacksaw to get the old exhaust off. It took me like 2 hours to put mine on and I was screwing around half the time. Seriously do it yourself, you save money, and you learn something about car. Plus to me thats part of modding your car, the feeling of accomplishment you get after you finish the install.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I can't understand spending that kind of money for the install but not spending it on the catback. If its 250 for the install (judging from my experience thatsprobably what he'll charge since it was part of the "estimate") and 150 for the mufflers thats 400 right there. Same cost as the entire catback. Tell that to your father. There is resale value in the catback too, not much with just the welded up mufflers.

Quick Reply: exhaust help!!!