4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

More than a Headache...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:07 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default More than a Headache...

Alrighty guys, bear with me with this long thread, but I really need your guys's help...About 6 months ago, i started hearing a sqeaking noise from the back of the car, but when I pushed the brakes and the noise would seemingly go away. So I figured it was the brake pads, I changed those and got 4 new rotors. Even after the pads and rotors, the squeaking continued. I had the mechanic who did the brakes look and he wasn't sure what it is. Do you guys have any ideas what it could be? Here's the kicker, when it's raining outside it doesn't make the sqeaking noise from the rear. I'm thinking it might be a set of sticky rear calipers?? But could I have a messed up rear end, or a bad bearing in it or something?? Help me guys, this noise is ruining my car...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: More than a Headache...

I would put it up on alift somewhere so you can get under it while its running in gear to pinpoint the noise. Not quite as safe but jackstands could be used as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Alrighty guys, bear with me with this long thread, but I really need your guys's help...About 6 months ago, i started hearing a sqeaking noise from the back of the car, but when I pushed the brakes and the noise would seemingly go away. So I figured it was the brake pads, I changed those and got 4 new rotors. Even after the pads and rotors, the squeaking continued. I had the mechanic who did the brakes look and he wasn't sure what it is. Do you guys have any ideas what it could be? Here's the kicker, when it's raining outside it doesn't make the sqeaking noise from the rear. I'm thinking it might be a set of sticky rear calipers?? But could I have a messed up rear end, or a bad bearing in it or something?? Help me guys, this noise is ruining my car...
The rain part is your clue.
The rain is lubricating whatever is doing the squeeking.

I would get a can of spray silicon lubricant and spray all the rubber bushings on the sway bar, shocks, suspension etc.
Make sure to get it into the rubber real good.

Don't use regular oil because even though the rubber is oil resistant, oil will deteriorate the rubber anyway over time.

Give it a try.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

theres no way to tell without replicating the situation when it occurs, pin-pointing exactly where the sounds coming from, only then can you hope to find out what it is. Could be your brake hardware wasnt changed out when they did your pads, could be a bushing in the rear, or exhaust squeeking against your body. So many possibilities.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

yeah my bet is a suspension component that needs to be replaced or at least lubed
Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I've had the car on a lift, and it doesn't make the noise because there isn't any weight on the car's body, do you guys think I should just go to the dealer?