4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help with Midpipe Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
red99gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help with Midpipe Install

I need help with my prochamber install. The bolts in the back near the mufflers were easy, but the manifold bolts are impossible to break. I have tried air ratchet and hand ratchet with swivels and all. Plenty of PB blaster has hit them too. Any other tips?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help with Midpipe Install

try a breaker bar. any metal pipe will do - just stick it over the ratchet handle and put your hands at the far end and push from there. Since it's a longer distance between your hands and the bolts the torque you create is much greater
Old 05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
bestjudge

Huge Breaker bar.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Octane
2nd Gear Member

That is the hardest part. Drown it in break-free. Air ratchet with a swivel socket, not a depp with a swivel as there is a difference. The swivel socket is deep enough to go over the bolt and still short enough to maneuver to it. That was the only way I could do it for the passenger side. The driver side was easier as you can use an air ratchet with a deep socket. Once those are off install is a snap.

Another thing I did, was try to work with the tension of the midpipe. Try it with the pipe still attatched to the back end to relieve the pressure on the bolt. Another thing I did since I had it on a lift, was I had another jack on the mid pipe to actually push it up a little while trying to break it free.

Working with some of those combos, you should be able to break it free. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

++++1, I had the same problem. I hit the bolts with wd-40, let em soak for 10 minutes and used a 3 foot breaker bar.It did the trick.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM
red99gt
2nd Gear Member

ok well i re soaked it with the pb blaster and tried an impact wrench on it and no success. So my bro is going out to get some a better impact wrench and some more stuff.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Octane
2nd Gear Member

The driver side is easy to get to. The passenger side was a pain.The right tools will have it off quickly.

I am glad I got it off when I did, I was thinking a bit more drastic, like thinking about taking the starter off to get to it. It might have been done faster. Glad I found that socket that piveted and fit perfectly in there, see my last post on details...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Your forgetting cuss words. They help a lot with a midpipe install
Old 05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

Tell your bro to pick up a 2-3 foot pipe that a wrench will fit into. I tried an air hammer, and all kinds of crap, nothing worked. My buddy brought his jack handle over, slid it on to the wrench and had is loose in 5 seconds. I wasted an hour trying everything except increasing the leverage and torque.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
red99gt
2nd Gear Member

Definitley enough of the cuss words. Air ratchet its to freaking weak, impact is to weak, even on the driver side bolts.

Quick Reply: Need help with Midpipe Install