4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

DO I NEED MILS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DO I NEED MILS

Yes, the front 2 o2 sensors have to stay. yes, if someone has a tuner, you can clear the codes(only thing there good for on mutiple cars. The back 2 have to have the mils, unless you have a tuner. then just shut them off. No extensions arre needed unless you have long tubes........
Old 05-09-2007, 12:16 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

so when i go to switch the stock h pipe back on for emissions, what do i do with the mil eliminators
Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GTMustangCT

so when i go to switch the stock h pipe back on for emissions, what do i do with the mil eliminators
Leave them on, they don't hurt anything.

All stangs with an O/R midpipe need either MIL's or a tuner to turn off the rear O2 sensors. 04 GT's require extensions for the rear O2 sensors (18" for the passenger side, 4" for the driver's side). LT headers require extensions for the front O2 sensors as well.

I made my own MIL's, it cost me $6.15 in the end and it's been 820 miles or so and no CEL. Even if they fail, I can re-make them 10 times and it'll still cost me less than it would have to buy MIL's which would have failed multiple times in that time anyway.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Jonny.GT

take them out, swap the pipe, smog, swap the pipe, put em back in XD
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jonny.GT

take them out, swap the pipe, smog, swap the pipe, put em back in XD
You don't need to take them out. They will perform the same function if the O2 sensors actually give a good reading... it would just show the catalytic converter efficiency as very very high
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

so what if i dont use them, then the cel will stay on, i was told that i could go to advanced auto parts or a place like that and they can clear the code. will this work, how the heck do you make them yourself.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

so what if i dont use them, then the cel will stay on, i was told that i could go to advanced auto parts or a place like that and they can clear the code. will this work, how the heck do you make them yourself.
If you don't use them the CEL will come on, masking any other problems that the light may come on for. In some cases, the engine will go into limp mode (super rich + pulled timing).

You can clear the code and that'll fix it temporarily but it is just going to keep coming on over and over again.

Follow these instructions to make your own (courtesy of cliffyk here on MF)

http://paladinmicro.com/MyMustang/Mu...Eliminator.htm

Edit: Took me and a friend about an hour to make them + extensions. 850 miles or so so far and no CEL.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

they can clear the code as a temp fix, after the computer figures out that there still not working the light will pop right back on.Only a tuner and MILSwill keep the light from ever coming back on.Do a Search for Home Made MIL eliminators or something along those lines.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:22 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

well i dont have time to make them and it seems like a pain in the butt to make them, im either going to buy them, or you said i can use a programmer. like a programmer for my year. i was wondering if i can find someone with one and use theirs. im just going to end up spending the frickin 60 bucks for them. im doin for racing shorties in the front so i shouldnt need extentions i should just need one pair for the back. thanks for all your help. and if anyone knows how to remove the quarter panel side scoop on a 96 gt please let me know. thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

well i dont have time to make them and it seems like a pain in the butt to make them, im either going to buy them, or you said i can use a programmer. like a programmer for my year. i was wondering if i can find someone with one and use theirs. im just going to end up spending the frickin 60 bucks for them. im doin for racing shorties in the front so i shouldnt need extentions i should just need one pair for the back. thanks for all your help. and if anyone knows how to remove the quarter panel side scoop on a 96 gt please let me know. thanks
Hand held tuners can really only be used on one car at a time, so you're out of luck for sharing with a friend [X(]

You're correct otherwise, no need to do anything for the front O2 sensors, and a set of MIL's for the rear ones.

Quick Reply: DO I NEED MILS