4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To LT or not to LT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default To LT or not to LT?

I've been debating over this in my head for a bit. I'm pretty set on the SLP LM II catback for my 02. But I'm not sure what to do about headers and mid-pipe. I'd really like to do a mid pipe with or soon after the catback, but I'm also leaning toward long tubes. I'd have to save up longer for LT's and they're a pain in the *** to install (I'll be doing all the work myself). So my question is...

Are LT's really worth it? Or should I just save up the extra $200 or so and get a full length uncatted X to compliment the catback? Cause I don't want to be going back and getting a second midpipe if I get LT's.

Oh yeah, I wanna go with a KB 2.2 in the future. Would I have to upgrade the headers? Would high flow shorties do?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: To LT or not to LT?

honestly i think they arnt worth the hastle cost of it unless you are going for big power. it all depends on your budget and goal with the car.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Well, I'm gonna be starting a second job as a mechanic in like 2 weeks, so I'll be making about $500 a week, and with only $118/month payments on the car and no other municipal responsibilities (living with parents FTW), budget isn't too much of a problem.

My goal with the car is around 450-500 rwhp. Nothing too big, and something I could easily accomplish with the KB. How would the stock manifolds hold up with the boost?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

I have full length headers on my car... honestly I'm not sure I'd do it on another car though... the hassle of putting headers on a 4.6 is terrible.. You see some power from headers, but you get alot of extra noise as well.

If I could do it over from scratch, I'd only by wheels, lowering springs, a nice cat back, midpipe and a mongoose kit.

but..... headers are cool..
Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I just picked up my car yesterday from having longtubes put on, and I love it. I have the SLP longtubes going into an SLP catted X, and Borla Stingers. I absolutely love the way the longtubes complimented the X and Stingers. Def. worth it IMO.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Long tubes sound great, they suck to install. Your car will be fine without them, but with boost you can see alot more hp with long tubes.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quicktime_GT

I have full length headers on my car... honestly I'm not sure I'd do it on another car though... the hassle of putting headers on a 4.6 is terrible.. You see some power from headers, but you get alot of extra noise as well.

If I could do it over from scratch, I'd only by wheels, lowering springs, a nice cat back, midpipe and a mongoose kit.

what kinda extra noise??? all exhaust I heard with LTs sound quieter actually
Old 05-11-2007, 06:56 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

ORIGINAL: Quicktime_GT

what kinda extra noise??? all exhaust I heard with LTs sound quieter actually
You might want to get your ears checked lol. but it all depends on what your doing with your car, if your like 99% of us who want to have a beast, then go for it. but if your all show and no go, id pass em up
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

if your doing a blower then LTs will help in the power dept. they should add about 20rwhp or so with a blower....not near that much n/a. it will also help the exaust sound better. i just ordered my mac lts to go with my lm2s....
Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

My LT's/Xpipe Did WAY more than my Tuner did to my car. I think it is a Great thing to do... and if you find some good Reviews its not that HArd... Time Consuming, but there are little tricks Everywhere...