4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Nitrous

Thats true. But I'm just saying I have seen more people with nitrous blow their cars up then people with turbo or s/c. So I dont think that s/c or t/c does the same to a engine as n20
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

you are either seeing people that push their motors beyond it's limit or people who use nitrous foolishly without the proper safety equiptment. I know of many many people with nitrous and can't think of a sigle person that blew their motor on nitrous. I ran it on my old motor UNTUNED for 4 years and had 121k miles and ran like a top when I pulled the motor. I can't think of anyone who put a s/c or turbo on their car that can make that claim!
ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

Thats true. But I'm just saying I have seen more people with nitrous blow their cars up then people with turbo or s/c. So I dont think that s/c or t/c does the same to a engine as n20
Old 05-14-2007, 01:11 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

not to beat a dead horse about this saleen focus thing.....but i quote:

" The 75 horsepower nitrous kit will turn 150-bhp 2.0 liter Focus into a 225-bhp screamer, capable of running the quarter mile in 14 sec @ 96mph......."

and at over $26k suggested retail....[:'(]

In 2003 my stang was new for $24k......*shrug*

ok im done being way off topic....back to the real question.....

If used with the proper safety switches (WOT switch, window switch with first gear lockout etc etc) and basic knowledge of the stock shortblocks limits, nitrous shouldnt give you any problems....

doing ANYTHING to a car without knowing anything about it is a bad idea.....like people who buy lowering springs (or even better, people who cut the stockers) but dont get shocks/struts...then complain about the ride quality.....

by itself, basic nitrous kits arent expensive....that being said basic kits dont usually include the safety features, and without those you can very easily watch you stock plastic intake manifold go boom

anything and everything you do to your car should be researched for safety's sake....

Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I LOVES NITROUS.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:30 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

you are either seeing people that push their motors beyond it's limit or people who use nitrous foolishly without the proper safety equiptment. I know of many many people with nitrous and can't think of a sigle person that blew their motor on nitrous. I ran it on my old motor UNTUNED for 4 years and had 121k miles and ran like a top when I pulled the motor. I can't think of anyone who put a s/c or turbo on their car that can make that claim!

[hr]

I dont think ford would put out Vehicles with superchargers on them if they were not going to make it over 121k Miles. A buddy of minebought a 02 Lightning brand new and that same day he bought it heputon a diff pulley and was running high 7's in the 1/8 and he drove it everyday to work and as a daily driver.A couple months ago he put it up for saleso he couldget a four door truck and the lightning had 168k mile's on it, and still ran brandnew,and for the six years he had owned that truck he ran it every weekend during drag racing season. I hardly see a nitrous car makeit throughone drag race season.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

Also the lightning was never tuned, He put the new pulley and belt on in his drive way and we all headed to the track, with only 20 something miles on his truck and he ran in the 7.90's.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I LOVES NITROUS.
haha way to provide the comic relief.

I've been considering nitrous as a cheap alternative to saving for an s/c. From what I've been able to gather, running a 100 shot on stock internals with all the proper safetguards AND being smart about how you use it is no real threat to the motor. The engines in our cars are pretty tough - the trannys, not so much but that's another subject I guess.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what's an average price of NO2 per ounce? I think I would have the problem of using it a lot and I'm just curious about how much I'm looking at blowing on it in the long run lol.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PaintballFreak

I LOVES NITROUS.

I've been considering nitrous as a cheap alternative to saving for an s/c. From what I've been able to gather, running a 100 shot on stock internals with all the proper safetguards AND being smart about how you use it is no real threat to the motor. The engines in our cars are pretty tough - the trannys, not so much but that's another subject I guess.

I don't want to hijack this thread but what's an average price of NO2 per ounce? I think I would have the problem of using it a lot and I'm just curious about how much I'm looking at blowing on it in the long run lol.
Nitrous can cost anywhere from $2.50-$5 per pound. Its different in different places.

NOS MAKES MOTORS ASPLODE!!!!!!!!!1 ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Yep---IMO. Everyone around my area uses nitrous, and just about everyone that uses it melts their pistons, but their putting down some serious numbers when they do it. A local guy has a 96 cobra engine in a fox body,it had a vortech s/c, andnitrous, and he blew it up on the dyno, he was putting out more than 680hp and 730 tq, tothe wheels, andthats alot of hp and tq on a stock block with stock internals. Another local guy blew up two of his mustangs with a 200 shot, and his other mustang is starting to run like crap. That is just a fraction of the people using nitrous in my area that blows up their engines. I'm not saying nothing bad about nitrous. Some people say s/c and t/c are doing the same thing to your engine as what nitrous does, but it dont. You see Ford lightnings, 03-04 cobra's, new GT500, srt-4 neons, cobolt ss, Subaru sti, they all come with s/c and t/c from the factory with a warranty, But have you ever seen a car come from the factory with nitrous? NO. But nitrous, s/c, and t/c are all safe as long as you use them right and dont mistreat it, unlike the people in my area do( put a 200 shot on a stock engine that comes stock with 200hp). But if your thinking about using nitrous, go for it, just use it and be respectful, and you will be ok.---IMO
actually, in japan... i have heard of there is some car that has everything hooked up for nitrous, exceptit is missing the bottle.. that is what i have heard though, never actually seen the car yet.. but that would be cool as hell. heh
Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: PaintballFreak

I LOVES NITROUS.

Nitrous can cost anywhere from $2.50-$5 per pound. Its different in different places.

NOS MAKES MOTORS ASPLODE!!!!!!!!!1 ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
i saw it in fast and da furious, his motor asploded and he burned up his piston rings and the floorboard fell off because the manifold had danger to it his stand alone computer said. that must mean if i run more than a 100 shot, i need to get some grade 8 bolts atleast for that damn floorboard. i dont want to make the same mistake as him.

Quick Reply: Nitrous