4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Almost Wrecked my Stang HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Almost Wrecked my Stang HELP

Have you removed the MAF screen? If so that is your problem. Both prior vehicles that I removed the screen in died at seemingly random times every once in a while. With the new mach...the screen is still in and I have never had the problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:39 AM
christoph0134
2nd Gear Member

i dont know what that is but how can i check and is there a way to buy a new one
Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

I think I may (not sure) have an extra one laying around if you need it. What you need to do it take out your air filter, and then expose the MAF sensore that is behind it, then see if there is a metal screen infront of the MAF sensor.
It will look kinda like this:
Old 05-17-2007, 01:46 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Wierd, JLT's intructions told me not to reuse to the screen. Hopefully something bad won't happen lol
Old 05-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

Wierd, JLT's intructions told me not to reuse to the screen. Hopefully something bad won't happen lol
lol yeah my old JLT RAI said the same thing...and after about a month it started the random dying every now and then...after it almost caused an accident I put it back in and it curred the problem. The funny thing is almost all aftermarket intakes for our cars say to remove the screen...and a lot of people never have the problem. I guess i've been one of the unlucky ones.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Got your pm chris

If all of your gauge warning lights are on then you probably have no charging problem unless the battery terminals are just kind of jumping on and off your battery. With the cars alternator charging you would think it would run with the battery unhooked but mustangs along with alot of newer vehichles usually won't. Its something to do with the computer.

About the K&N filter... man I honestly just dont believe thats your problem. Just think about all the cars out there with cold air intakes and K&N filters that run fine... think about the cars with superchargers that are getting lotsss more air that runs fine..

I'm not really sure what it is, but I'd bet it will happen again. Its probably worth going to a mechanic about.

Is it shutting off while your giving it gas or when you get out of it real quick. If it happens when you get out of the throttle really quick... maybe while pushing in on the clutch so that the rpms drop... then it dies... then this problem is pretty common.. probably just idle air control valve all dirtyed up...

if its happening while your in the throttle then i'm not sure... if it goes to bogging down like its running out of gas maybe you have a fuel problem... then maybe you either need to change the fuel filter... or the pump.

If you don't want to take it to a mechanic then I'd start by:

Changing the fuel filter
Spark Plugs.. just get a set of NGKs for about $1.77 a piece TR55's or TR6's
Clean the idle air control valve..
Clean the battery terminals ...and battery post.. make sure the terminals are on tight. you shouldn't be able to wiggle them on the post

Take it to an Advance Auto Parts and have your alternator and battery checked.. and if the engine light is on have them check to see what codes come up...

Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Quicktime: Yes the computers have an adaptive program, but it's stored in memory that does not save when it loses power. When the battery is disconnected for ~15 minutes, the whole system discharges and the memory the adaptive information is stored in loses power, and all data in it is lost. When you power it back up, it starts to re-learn everything from scratch.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Quicktime: Yes the computers have an adaptive program, but it's stored in memory that does not save when it loses power. When the battery is disconnected for ~15 minutes, the whole system discharges and the memory the adaptive information is stored in loses power, and all data in it is lost. When you power it back up, it starts to re-learn everything from scratch.
that makes since..

Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

im guessing the IAC... when your on it and let off, it would die? the iac may not be working right and sticking...
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

If you don't know enough to safely remove a battery lead on your car, you should just leave the hood closed and never open it.

Positive, or negative, it doesn't matter. Just remove 1 and make sure it doesn't touch any other part of the car or battery while removed. I won't go any further in detail because it'll probably confuse you.

as for the K&N...maybe it is flowing enough air, that the PCM needs to reset to relearn it's "normal" parameters with the new higher air flow. doubtful, but maybe. sounds more likely you have a bigger issue.

I can't help it. Never remove the Negative first. Your positive is still hooked up. That means if you accidently ground that cable against your frame or body of the car, you're going to get shocked, and your car might get some sensitive electrical piece fried.

Quick Reply: Almost Wrecked my Stang HELP