4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cutting my springs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
white venom
baby poop

Default cutting my springs.

alright i dont want any negative feed back please, and i also dont want people saying "your dumb just go b buy new springs" i apreciate it.

alright i wanna lower my car but dont wanna spend oney on springs, what tool do i have to use to cut them with? and would it be hard?

if worst comes to worse illl just buy bnew springs, i have the money sitting right by me for new springs but i wanna try to cut my stock ones, ive seen it on tv, they cut the springs of an 04 gt. please give me some feedback. thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cutting my springs.

look through previous threads and you will quickly find out a lot of people HIGHLY recommed people NOT to do this. as for the tool to cut them??? i would say save a little more money until you feal comfortable spending the money and then do the full job struts/springs included IMO
good luck
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
white venom
baby poop

yeah. thats what alot of ppl are saying.

haha what does imo mean!? im retarded. sorry
Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

In My Opinion

Old 05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gilbert00

alright i dont want any negative feed back please, and i also dont want people saying "your dumb just go b buy new springs" i apreciate it.

alright i wanna lower my car but dont wanna spend oney on springs, what tool do i have to use to cut them with? and would it be hard?

if worst comes to worse illl just buy bnew springs, i have the money sitting right by me for new springs but i wanna try to cut my stock ones, ive seen it on tv, they cut the springs of an 04 gt. please give me some feedback. thanks.
angle grinding with a cutting wheel would work the best probably
Old 05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

DO NOT CUT THEM!!!!!! Its not becuase its lame or un cool its becuase its unsafe. Your springs need all those coils to safely support the weight of your car. Cutting off coils will make it unsafe and reduce the ability to hold up your car. They will slowly start to sag and then just bottom out. . .It also greatly reduces handling too. As i said above it takes away the strength of the spring so it isnt as resistant to pressure. Its an unsafe bad idea IMO especially since new springs are like $30 on ebay.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

DO NOT CUT THEM!!!!!! Its not becuase its lame or un cool its becuase its unsafe. Your springs need all those coils to safely support the weight of your car. Cutting off coils will make it unsafe and reduce the ability to hold up your car. They will slowly start to sag and then just bottom out. . .It also greatly reduces handling too. As i said above it takes away the strength of the spring so it isnt as resistant to pressure. Its an unsafe bad idea IMO especially since new springs are like $30 on ebay.
some of what he said. basically cutting your springs is not a good thing to do because the springs are the way they are for a specific spring rate. cutting them ruins the spring rate giving you a bouncy ride and thus horrible ride quality. it may be good for looks but performance wise it sucks. it is not healthy for the car at all. so please think of your pony and treat her with some new springs.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

This thread is so full of BS Just use a cut-off wheel on a grinder and cut no more than 1 turn and you'll be fine. If that's not enough drop cut 1/4 turn at a time more til you're there. Don't listen to those who have probably never done it[8D]
Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JayC

This thread is so full of BS Just use a cut-off wheel on a grinder and cut no more than 1 turn and you'll be fine. If that's not enough drop cut 1/4 turn at a time more til you're there. Don't listen to those who have probably never done it[8D]
Ive done it ive seen people do it ive worked at a ford shop where people did it. Enough proof?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

ORIGINAL: JayC

Ive done it ive seen people do it ive worked at a ford shop where people did it. Enough proof?
Any negative effects is from cutting too much. If you have any real experiance you would know this

Quick Reply: cutting my springs.