4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem with my GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Demonite23
1st Gear Member

Default Problem with my GT

So i was driving to work the other day, just snowed the day before pretty bad, and i was going pretty slow on the roads. I hit the freeway and there is no snow on it, just a little wet. I hit about 55 or 60 mph and my car starts shaking. The whole thing, even the steering wheel and the seats. I have no idea what it is. I thought it might be some ice lodged under the fender somewhere or w/e but i let the car sit in the garage for a day and when i took it out again did the same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Old 12-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Problem with my GT

Driveshaft, warped rotors...couple things to take a look at.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Dude...Snow packed inside the wheels. Throws them off balance. I bet you did a donut or two in the snow didn't you? DIDN'T YOU!

Is your garage heated?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:19 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I would think the rotors would have melted any snow though. If it isnt what Sidewayz or Dan suggested I would also take a look at the shocks and make sure you dont have a busted one. A bad shock can cause some terrible vibs in any car.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

I'm agreeing with sidewayz. Espically if it hasn't been doing this before. Because diveshaft and rotors can't get warped over night. And I don't really see a bad shock makeing the car shake.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:22 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Drive shaft bolts can loosen though, its happened to me. Or maybe you hit a curb or somthn and threw a wheel out of balance. Does it the steering wheel do it more when you brake? Does it feel like a driveline thing or maybe engine? Depending on mileage somtimes the rubber in the harmonic balancer goes bad and that can cause vibration also.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Monty

I'm agreeing with sidewayz. Espically if it hasn't been doing this before. Because diveshaft and rotors can't get warped over night. And I don't really see a bad shock makeing the car shake.
It's easy to drive through a puddle at 20mph with hot rotors and warp the crap out of them and not notice it...
Old 12-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

ORIGINAL: Monty

It's easy to drive through a puddle at 20mph with hot rotors and warp the crap out of them and not notice it...
Running through a puddle can warp rotors??? Sounds impossible
Old 12-24-2004, 07:46 PM
That Guy
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't be surprised about the ice/snow still on your car. My friend has a 96 also. Last night we had a decent winter storm and both of our stnags shook on the way home and the way to work the next morning. We both park outside and snow wouldn't melt overnight. We got car washes today and magicly, no shake on the way home.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Demonite23
1st Gear Member

hmm thanks for the advice everyone.
No my garage is not heated and there is only about 33k on the engine. I definetly hope it is there is nothing wrong with the drivetrain or something cause i was gonna get my exhaust done this week and i dont feel like paying to fix my car, especially if i am just about to get that exhaust. Not how i intended on spending my money, know what i mean? I'll take the car to go wash it tomarrow morning, hopefully the car wash is still open, and see what happens. I was also thinking that it could be one of the tires. Probably the wiring or w/e broke in the tire. Bad thing is it could explode if i keep driving the car, which i havent been doing since the problem happend. Good thing is i still have warrenty on the tires so they will just replace it. I'll keep you guys update in case any of you are going to encounter this problem sometime during the future. Also could be stress seperation on the tires?

oh and btw, no donuts for me. Don't wanna risk messing the car up.

Quick Reply: Problem with my GT