4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

good all around shocks needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: good all around shocks needed

ORIGINAL: wildazme

id say go with some monroe's they work fine from the factory.
Monroes are fine also! I believe that's what code runs or did run!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Not Monroes, their "Sensa-Trac" shocks use a tapered and grooved main tube ID to provide a "comfort zone" ride when the shock is operatring in what they have determined to be the "normal" range of motion. On a stock car this produces a noticable changeover as you leave the "normal" range of motion--on a lowered car it's horrid as "normal" is now the compressed end of factory ride height normal...[/align][/align]Gabriel's Ultras have 25% to 30% more damping than OEM and are linear action--I know I'm starting to sound like a brolen record, withmoney invested in Gabriel, but I don't. It's just that their Ultra shocks and struts are a damned good buy for daily drivers that want something better than OEM without breaking the bank--try 'em, you'll like 'em...[/align]
Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

No!! Good stuff
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

lizzy what does your comment mean? i too am looking for new shocks and struts for my 2002 gt......originals are on there and this thing needs some new dampning!

would these gabriels work only with stock springs? or can lowering springs be used as well? i have a convertible also
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

gabriels wear out super fast i had some on my neon and they lasted about a year and then crapped out, there garbage, they start to leak.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:14 AM
greatjedi

ORIGINAL: skaarew

lizzy what does your comment mean? i too am looking for new shocks and struts for my 2002 gt......originals are on there and this thing needs some new dampning!

would these gabriels work only with stock springs? or can lowering springs be used as well? i have a convertible also
I'm wondering this as well. The guys at my local Auto Zone didn't know. I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive to pair with my frpp c springs.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 AM
twin turbo pilot
2nd Gear Member

Im considering the exact combo Ford Cs and the gabriel shocks/struts. $300 or so dollars is better than $450 for the mach 1 set up with Tokicos especially if it is going to be of the same quality
Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I know it seems like alot of money (under 400) to spend on shocks and struts, but I can't stress enough how much of a differnce having the adjustables make. I almost made the mistake of getting the non adjustables and I am glad i got the stranges instead.

Code is running the strange 10 ways last I heard, as one of his adjusters broke off and he had to repair it. No way he is running a non adjustable with that setup!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 AM
twin turbo pilot
2nd Gear Member

What exactly do adjustables allow you to do and what are the benefits? I dont mind spending the extra cash for quality items if I feel I can take advantage of what the item offers. Would adjustibles really be necsesary for a car that only makes like 8 passes down the strip a year?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The adjustables just have small finger screws (you turn em by hand) on the bottom of the shock/strut. You can literally get out and change em anytime you want ( you have to turn the front wheels to get at em but its not hard).

You can literally go from a drag race suspension to a street setting to stiff as hell roadrace settings by the turn of the dial. It makes a massive difference in the car.

Put it this way, I can set em to 3/5 (front/rear) and get zero tirespin going WOT in 1st, then set em to 5/6 or so for decent ride, then set em for 8/8 and go out and carve corners. When they are on 8/8 the car has very little body roll and almost no weight transfer front to back. On the 8/8 setting it burns the tires off like crazy in 1st gear.

Even if you don't go to the track its worth it, it makes a massive difference on the street. I would not want to run around with a suspension thats constantly setup for drag racing (aka non adjustables) as the car would have all that body roll and bounce to it (not comfortable over bumps, it goes up and down too much). By the same logic, I would not want a suspension that has only comfortable driving, as it would not launch OR handle as best it could, nor a road race setting only suspension cause it wouldn't launch and it would beat you to hell (on 8/8 the bumps are spine jarring).

You get the best of all three worlds with the adjustables. I didn't think it would make that much difference but its night and day between the 3/5 and the 8/8, literally feels like 2 different cars.

Quick Reply: good all around shocks needed