4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

High idle problem?? $50 to who ever solves it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:29 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default High idle problem?? $50 to who ever solves it!

First off it's not the IAC valve!!!..lol I have a restrictor gasket in there and tried it both ways??? My car idles all day at 1,050rpms???never lower. When I'm driving and come to a stop and push the Clutch in (hint 5spd) the idle sticks at 1600rpms for 8sec. evrytime? I can set my stopwatch to it. Very annoying to pull up somewhere and your car sounds like your at the drag line! I get a computer code and it says Manufacturer controlled Vehicle speed sensor??? Is that the VSS on the tranny or is that possibly the IAT sensor? I tried a diff. Maf and didn't do a damn thing. I tried a new TPS an nothing. No vaccum leaks either.(only 85% sure on this one..sprayed carb cleaner and starter fluid all over made a mess)...I was determined..lol What the hell is my problem??? ANY help is much appreciated becuz I'm sratching my ***** on this one!..lol Paypal only for the money tranfer when I get the problem fixed!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: High idle problem??

bump
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: High idle problem?? $50 to who ever solves it!

50 reasons to help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

hmm..check the idle screw..it may be in a tad too far with will cause the computer to give the IAC Overspeed code.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 PM
CHIC
1st Gear Member

From your sig it looks like you didnt do the u/d pulleys right? I was going to suggest the idle screw to, but that probably wasnt fukked with right? Of course it could have worked its way loose and opened up a bit.

After I did my pulleys, my idle would sit around 1200 rpms for about the same amount of time when i came to a stop. the rpms fluctuate a bit, but nothing as severe as what you are saying.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CHIC

From your sig it looks like you didnt do the u/d pulleys right? I was going to suggest the idle screw to, but that probably wasnt fukked with right? Of course it could have worked its way loose and opened up a bit.

After I did my pulleys, my idle would sit around 1200 rpms for about the same amount of time when i came to a stop. the rpms fluctuate a bit, but nothing as severe as what you are saying.
I don't have U/D pullies! I want my A/C super cold and I need every last bit of my 200 amp alternator for my system! As for the idle screw I have touched it trying to solve this ridiculous problem. I have backed it all the ways out and just enough to tough the butterfly plate, hasn't helped! Actually I have honed out the TPS screw holes to turn the TPS counterclockwise like 1/4" to get the rpms down that far. If I put the TPS where it belongs the idle surges up to 2100 and stays there all day! I have tried the air idle screw up underneath with the allen key. You cannot see this unless you take the t/b off. The rpms did drop maybe 150rpms more, but it just isn't enough! It did all start when I took the TPS off when my Foxbody buddy told me there was an adjustment behind it...ummm NOT! Ever since I have had this friggin problem!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 AM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

First off...there are no truths to the rumors that UDP's will affect your AC or your alternator. Did you recently have the battery disconnected?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:48 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Actually I have honed out the TPS screw holes to turn the TPS counterclockwise like 1/4" to get the rpms down that far. If I put the TPS where it belongs the idle surges up to 2100 and stays there all day!
That may be where your problem is..don't take offense to this,but did you check it with a voltameter? from what ive heard they are VERY sensitive
Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red2k1gt

First off...there are no truths to the rumors that UDP's will affect your AC or your alternator. Did you recently have the battery disconnected?
Umm yes they do! They spin those pullies slower causing them not to perform as efficiently! Most Foxbodies that have UDP's will have trouble restarting after idling for a while because the alternator isn't spinning fast enoungh to recharge the battery! This has nothing to do with my IDLING problem that has been going on since LAST YEAR! I have unplugged my battery several times! The computer is throwing a code Manufacturer controlled Vehicle speed and I'm not sure if that has to do with the 21 tooth speedo gear I put in or not?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:16 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

1. vac leak
2. dirty maf
3. something to do with the TB
4. TPS

Quick Reply: High idle problem?? $50 to who ever solves it!