4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stage 2 cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default stage 2 cams

will i notice anything with just stage 2 cams and non ported heads, stock pi heads. i dont really feel like dishin out 2k for heads and cams i plan on doin install my self. what do you guys think, i know with stage 1 i wont need a tune but should get one, soi im just wonderin with stage 2 what everything and everyones oppinion on them are.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: stage 2 cams

In order for you to get the max power you have to get the right setup. Some people will buy cams throw them in their car and later on port their heads and it will make your car run lil bit faster but not like a cammed car should run. The best thing to do is get your heads ported, and get the flow of the heads and call Comp Cam. or wherever you wanna buy your cams and give them all of your info on your car, tell them what your car be used for( street, strip....) then they will tell you what lift cams you will need that willbest fit you app. for the max perf.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

texas hot rods ran 12s with stage 2 cams good suspension, good tires and a couple of bolt ons but to see to the true full potential of the stage 2 cams you would need a built motor
Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i ran 12s on slicks full exhaust tb plenum rai and underdrives.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5speedstang

i ran 12s on slicks full exhaust tb plenum rai and underdrives.
like high 12s? mid 12s? or low 12s? cuz texas hot rods ran low 12s very close to 11s i think it was like 12.1 or so... they def got a little bit of a gain off the stage 2 cams but like i said earlier you wont see the full potential without a built bottom end because stage 2 cams are designed to go to like 6500+rpm thats where they make peak power.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i ran a 12.97
Old 05-28-2007, 12:42 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5speedstang

i ran a 12.97
not bad
with gears, lower control arms and stage 2 cams you could prob run low 12s cuz you already got the good driver mod... congrats on that.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

you'll get much better numbers with the heads massaged to match the cams.....plus a built block will let you really take advantage of it....

what are your final plans for the car? If you plan on staying naturally aspirated, supercharging, turbocharging, or using some spray, you can get a custom grind to really fit your application.....even if you buy the cams now and supercharger later, you'd be better off getting the blower cams right away.....a N/A cam with a blower will actually hurt your performance cuz it wont let you build/hold the boost as easily

stage IIs sound so freakin sick, but they sip a bit more gas.....I just had my whole block done over including VT stage II heads and cams, and I havent even taken my car above 2500 rpms and I can tell its suckin up the gas haha....at 3.50 a gallon and rising its something to consider....especially if money is an issue....

but the stage II's do require a tune to really run well and i'm told a higher octane tune? Which never made a difference cuz I had my car tuned for 91 prior to installing the cams anyways.....but new valve springs are in order too...especially for higher mile engines....and in emails between the people at VT and myself, I was told that if you have N/A stage IIs they recommend at least a 3.55 rear gear and a higher stall (if auto).....why? i dunno haha....

but theres a bit more involved than just buyin the cams and slappin em in.....a tune, valve springs are a must but to really see the potential, you'll need a lot more.....
Old 05-28-2007, 02:28 AM
mustang02racing
2nd Gear Member

i got the stage I cams and ported heads there a great mod if your ganna do it yourself, but if i had the money at the time i would of did my block first with the forged internals and notched pistons...needed with stage II. my suggestion is get all the bolt ons you can, and then save up for the heads cams and block and do it all at the same time save yourself the labor cost.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i have all bolt ons except for gears.

Quick Reply: stage 2 cams