4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

blown clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

Default blown clutch?

I think i blew out my clutch today. I was running the car real hard through first and second, and when I went to put it into third it jammed and then all the sudden it just went boom. The clutch pedal went limp, and i couldn't get it into any gear. Then i was coasting at about 40 mph, and finally was able to get it into 4th, and when I went to go, It was real shaky and sort of grindy feeling. Then i finally got to a stop, and it would idle fine, and then i put it in first to move, and it just made the worst grinding noise.

does this sound like just a burnt clutch, or something worse? [:@]
Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 AM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: blown clutch?

is there any clutch can you feel it when you press it down? or is it a floppy pedal?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

there was a little bit of feeling, but not much. It was just like a grindy feeling. It's at the shop right now, so I'll find out tommorow, but I just want to know now. It succcks.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

At least your blower isn't screwed up. I have a brand new clutch sitting right beside me and nowhere to put it :[
Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

at least you have a blower! I don't have a blower or a clutch
Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

either the clutch or the tranny! Usualy the clutch shows signs it is going first, for instance you will be driving around and it will start slipping, that is gaining rpm's while in gear but not gaining acceleration! Since the pedal went limp, and it grinds when trying to put it in gear it sounds like a clutch... but the popping noise scares me it might be the tranny that went POOP!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: wgdt21

I think i blew out my clutch today. I was running the car real hard through first and second, and when I went to put it into third it jammed and then all the sudden it just went boom. The clutch pedal went limp, and i couldn't get it into any gear. Then i was coasting at about 40 mph, and finally was able to get it into 4th, and when I went to go, It was real shaky and sort of grindy feeling. Then i finally got to a stop, and it would idle fine, and then i put it in first to move, and it just made the worst grinding noise.

does this sound like just a burnt clutch, or something worse? [:@]
[hr]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard if your clutch is out your car wont pull at all.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

I hopeeeeee its not the tranny. Once i came to a complete stop, the car wouldn't pull at all. nor while i was coating either, it would just make bad, depressing noises.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Grinding while puttingit in gear is usaully a syncro problem, pedal falling to the ground is the clutch master cylinder giving out. Does the pedal still fall to the floor or does it feel like it has pressure behind it? ImoI think that you must have shaterred the **** out of one side of the clutch.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Grinding while puttingit in gear is usaully a syncro problem, pedal falling to the ground is the clutch master cylinder giving out. Does the pedal still fall to the floor or does it feel like it has pressure behind it? ImoI think that you must have shaterred the **** out of one side of the clutch.
i have never checked but i thought we had clutch cables? Am i wrong?[&:]

Quick Reply: blown clutch?