4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

newbie needing help with a mod!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
markdr

Default newbie needing help with a mod!

Hey, just joined the group, been reading it for a long time but never needed to ask a question.... until now.

I am on my 7th mustang. ive been driving them for years, and currently have 3 out of the 7 stillin the garage. But I have NEVER modified a single thing on any of them, and I would certainly not consider myself a mechanic or especially mechanically inclined. I can work on my 68, but the newer ones with fI and computers, well.. Im lost.Anyway I pretty much like them original. But, I finally decided to play around with modifying my 2000 GT. Call it a midlife crisis maybe? I first did the intake and exhaust, have a KN cold air intake and have a full Magnaflow system including magnaflow cats and catback and a Cloyes performance timing gear / chain. Im now interested in a tuner. I have 2 options, both at the same price. Can anyone help me out with these two? It seems info is limited on the internet as to if these things are good for your car or not, and which is better then the other.

My 2 choices are the SCT (Super Chips Tuner II) or the Hypertech version. It looks like the HT would probably add about 13 more hp to the rear wheels and the SCT would add aproximately 17. Of course this is really variable depending on the tune I guess.

Any ideas on this would be great, experiences with either or both on your smiliar mustang would really help me decide which to choose, if either. Also, for some reason I like the diablo, but it is not one of my 2 options because I can get either one of those 2 at a great price, and not so with the diablo.

Thanks, looking forward to reponses!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: newbie needing help with a mod!

Best bet is to find out what brand your local tuner uses and get that one. So if you ever want to get a dyno tune down the line they can just load it into your tuner.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i say get gears with that tuner... it will make you feel happy as soon as you roll into that throttle
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i say get gears with that tuner... it will make you feel happy as soon as you roll into that throttle
+1. If you have that many stangs, you can afford to throw some gears in one of them and see how you like the response it gives you. I noticed you said you did the exhaust, have you thought about headers? Just adding headers, CAI, and gears and you will see a difference.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

1. SCT
2. Diablosport
3. Crap
4. Everything else....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

I know alot of people with SCT none of them have every had anything bad to say not to mention i love mine. I first bought the diablo sport and that didnt do much to the car at all, I then bought the SCT and noticed a huge difference but like the other guys said if you get gears and a tune with your current mods it will feel like a new car. good luck with it and the 6 other mustangs.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
markdr

didnt mean to make it sound like I STILL have my 7 stangs, lol. I only have 3, 4 of them are gone with different demises each. I have a 68 garaged with historical plates on it so it doesnt do much, its all original, a 98 GT which is unmodified and in great condition, andy my daily driver 2000 GT. Money is definitely an issue, so want the best bang for my bucks.

So far it looks like the SCT is the winner..... Cant find too much solid information on it on the net. Maybe im just not looking properly. I do appreciate all the feedback. A few people mentioned gears, Im afraid Im too new at modifying anything to even have a clue what do in that aspect....

Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I hope your not talking about buying Hypertech's II programmer[sm=badidea.gif]. The only reason I have one is because I bought it used for $60. Very limited in comparison to SCT and Diablosport programmers.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
markdr

ah, thats 3 for the SCT................ So even though I wont be using it to tune this thing like crazy like I know some people do (ill most likely just use default tunes on it), the SCT is still better then the HT. Ok, really glad I post this. I wasnt sure, but was leaning towards the HT but only because I could find more info about it online.
Thanks again to those who replied! Still anyone with experience with them, feel free to post your 2 cents!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if this any clue to the quality of the tuners, but I purchased the diablosportbecause there was a shop in the KC metropolitan area that used it, but recently they switched to SCT. [:@]

Quick Reply: newbie needing help with a mod!