4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

KNOCKING? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
bigjewc

Default KNOCKING? PLEASE HELP

okay, i have a bullitt mustang with a built motor and supercharger, just recently ive been hearing a knocking sound, kinda resembles a rod/piston. but only occurs around 2800 rpms and higher, you can rev. the engine all you want at a stop and nothing! soon as you start driving, blam! its all i can hear, driving me absolutely crazy. any thoughts out there from you expert engine folk would be greatly appreciated. i was told by a gentleman at the gas station that it was most likely a ring something or another, i cant remember. thanks to all that reply

Bigjewc
Bullitt 5371
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: KNOCKING? PLEASE HELP

Get a soundclip if you can. I guess it could be detonation, your tranny, clutch. I'm just thinking of all the things that could make a noise when driving.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Sounds like detonation. Either increase your octane or back off the timing. Is it tuned for the supercharger?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:43 PM
bigjewc

yea, its been tuned. we've even put it on the dyno to try and locate the source, but no luck. im no mechanic so i have no idea what to do, i dont know if it would help or not, but this all started the first time i got over 160mph racing an evo. from there on out it has never stopped. but truthfully it sounds just like my old stock motor when i blew it, that same knocking sound. just really wierd that it only happens around 2800rpms and up? and its really loud when the engine is cold, in the mornings.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Damn bro, I hate to say it but it doesn't sound good. A knock is definitely a bad noise. And you doing a 160MPH run is what had to have caused it.

I was going to suggest that you check your tune, and back off timing as it could be knocking from your timing being advanced too much. But you already did that.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Could be a couple things, especially after a 160mph run. Bent valve, spun bearing, broken valve springs, blown injector, etc.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 PM
bigjewc

i love it, build this thing into a monster and it cant even handle a 160mph run, the worst part is i still have 6th gear left and was gonna see how far that would go on the salt flats out here in vegas. oh well. i guess my question would be why would these parts fail, i spent 17,000.00 on the entire motor build and blower setup. man this really pisses me off. i guess i need to take it into another shop, my guys really dont hear the noise, or just dont care. everytime i take it up there it comes back the same way. so maybe one of you guys know of a real good guys out here in vegas that could take a look at it! if ya do please let me know!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Did you break the motor in all the way before you started thrashing it? Take it easy for5k miles, change the oil every 1k and all that fun stuff?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigjewc

i love it, build this thing into a monster and it cant even handle a 160mph run, the worst part is i still have 6th gear left and was gonna see how far that would go on the salt flats out here in vegas. oh well. i guess my question would be why would these parts fail, i spent 17,000.00 on the entire motor build and blower setup. man this really pisses me off. i guess i need to take it into another shop, my guys really dont hear the noise, or just dont care. everytime i take it up there it comes back the same way. so maybe one of you guys know of a real good guys out here in vegas that could take a look at it! if ya do please let me know!
If that's their attitude towards you, especially after how much money you've spent with them, then take your car elsewhere. Period.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
bigjewc

yea, i did break it in, already has about 7000 miles on the motor, and yes i was very good to it during the breakin period, now that i can drive like a maniac (my preferred driving style) the f***ing thing starts to fail me. arrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

anyways, would really appreciate any GOOD mechanic referrals out here in las vegas. i'm no genius when it comes to the motor, hence spending more than i should have on it already.

Quick Reply: KNOCKING? PLEASE HELP