4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Remember that issue i had with the car jerking and stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default Remember that issue i had with the car jerking and stuff?

When id drive it more than 15 min straight, and id go more than 60% throttle, where it would jerk and **** like it was running outta power/gas/air/something? Let off the gas and it would spike to 5300 rpms, like it got a power boost, then it would shift and be ok again?

Well it stopped doin that for a week or so, but now it started up again. [:@] Only things i did different were put in 91 instead of 93 this past thursday, but the car started effing up yesterday. And when i started it last, i accidentally had the gas pressed a tiny bit (about an inch id say?). Im definitely thinkin its a fuel issue, but those two things were the only things i did differently, which coulda triggered the problem to come back.

Ideas? If its ****ty fuel again or something, or just sludge or something, im gonna run a cleaner, maybe seafoam then fill up on 93. I doubt hittin the gas when starting it would cause a problem, could it? [&:]
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Remember that issue i had with the car jerking and stuff?

jerking in the automatic's is very common when in 3rd and 4th gear and crusing at anywhere from about 30-70mph. i fixed mine when i built up my tranny. if you think its a fuel issue, id start with the fuel filter. if that doesnt fix it, id check the air filter and injectors.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

jerking in the automatic's is very common when in 3rd and 4th gear and crusing at anywhere from about 30-70mph. i fixed mine when i built up my tranny. if you think its a fuel issue, id start with the fuel filter. if that doesnt fix it, id check the air filter and injectors.
I took it to continental transmissions and they said it didnt feel like a tranny issue, they said it felt like it was starving for fuel. Also, mine will do it in any gear. It did it from a launch the one time, i was goin about 20 mph, in first...

You said yours was the tranny, right? What exactly was the issue?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
red96gtconvtbl
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, why do you always fill up on 93? Do you have a 93 tune?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

no tune, but it seemed to run a lot better on 93. At first, it took the car longer to mess up (20 min instead of 10), then in a week or so it disappeared completely. Fill up on 91 and 3 days later its actin up again. [:@]
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

lol the stock tranny wont commonly cause the problem you're describing. 4r70w's are known for sloppy shifts, driveline slack, and always being in the wrong gear.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

lol the stock tranny wont commonly cause the problem you're describing. 4r70w's are known for sloppy shifts, driveline slack, and always being in the wrong gear.
They put a 4r70w in mine when they replaced the tranny. Shifts are nice and hard, no problem with bein in the wrong gear. Had about 5-6 people drive it after it got the new tranny and all of em said it felt like it was in awesome shape.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i personally would test the tps first, run a fuel stabilizer/cleaner, maybe clean the maf, and double check for any loose vacuum connections. after that i would start tuning up. its not throwing codes or flashing check engine lights so the ecu isnt detecting bad values at any sensor
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

4r70w = stock aode in 99-04's
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

I took it to continental transmissions and they said it didnt feel like a tranny issue, they said it felt like it was starving for fuel. Also, mine will do it in any gear. It did it from a launch the one time, i was goin about 20 mph, in first...

You said yours was the tranny, right? What exactly was the issue?
torque converter... i upgraded to one with furnace brazed fins and a higher stall speed. but the stall speed wasnt part of the problem, i just upgraded it then so i didnt have to do it in the future.

Quick Reply: Remember that issue i had with the car jerking and stuff?