4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cold start issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Wagnbat

Default Cold start issues?

Had my 2003 GT for 2 days, and already having 'cold start' issues. The cold at night here is 75 degrees, and the daytime high is about 90. So it's not REALLY a temp thing, but if the car has been sitting a while, I can try as many as 4 times to start it... Everything will turn over, the engine will catch slightly and start to rev, and then it will stall out. So far I've been going with if I miss once, and the second time I start with my foot on the gas, it always catches and goes to idle without stalling, nor will it stall at any point after that, until I park it and it sits for a while.

Is this a common problem? Anyone know of a fix or potential solution?

Could just need a tune-up?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold start issues?

ORIGINAL: Wagnbat

Had my 2003 GT for 2 days, and already having 'cold start' issues. The cold at night here is 75 degrees, and the daytime high is about 90. So it's not REALLY a temp thing, but if the car has been sitting a while, I can try as many as 4 times to start it... Everything will turn over, the engine will catch slightly and start to rev, and then it will stall out. So far I've been going with if I miss once, and the second time I start with my foot on the gas, it always catches and goes to idle without stalling, nor will it stall at any point after that, until I park it and it sits for a while.

Is this a common problem? Anyone know of a fix or potential solution?

Could just need a tune-up?
Try turning the key to ON for 10 seconds and then cranking it after the 10 seconds.
If it starts right up, chances are you have a fuel pressure problem.

Could also be the IAC. (That's my guess)
Try cleaning it and see what happens.
If that fails, try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so and then drive the car so the PCM can relearn everything.
A tune up wouldn't hurt, make sure to carefully clean the MAF.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Wagnbat

Thanks Steve. Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Thats a good suggestion for priming the pump, you dont need to wait 10 sec. though, all you really need is about 2. Youll actually be able to hear it, itll initially prime then stop.
How many miles on the car? If its got 60k or more definitly get a tune-up, use only MOTORCRAFT parts. The ones that came on the car from the factory, your car will run the best with those. Note: changing to a "hi-performance" spark plug will not give you any more power (no matter what the parts guy says).
-P.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 PM
GOTRWHP

My 04 GT is garage kept and only comes out on the weekend, so when I first turn the key on I wait a few seconds and then start. There have been a few times when I had to turn it over twice to get it to start. Like they said try to wait a few seconds before you start. My car pnly has 30k on it so it may be a common problem.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Wagnbat

A little weirdness.

Yesterday I went to inspect a house I'm buying with a professional inspector... I parked the car facing downhill on approximately a 15 degree incline, for just under 2 hours. It took me about 10 tries to get her to start up. You'd hear the starter, the engine turn over, and then a whomp whomp... whomp.......... whomp... As the car stalled from idle. Adding a bit of gas usually works, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and probably 7 and 8th times didn't seem to work. Waited anywhere from 10-45 seconds between attempts to start... Once going, no issues.

Parked overnight, started up on the first try this morning. Parked for work, 8 hours later started up on the first try just fine. Both times I went from off directly to start, without waiting the suggested 10 seconds (for troubleshooting reasons mostly).

Very odd. I'm going to have to try parking downhill again to see if that influences anything.