4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can I pass California Smog with Aftermarket Catted X-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Hans Moleman

Default Can I pass California Smog with Aftermarket Catted X-Pipe?

The cats in my stock h-pipe are going bad. They are rattling and giving off a rotten egg smell.

I'm wondering if I go for the Magnaflow catted X-pipe, will it still be ok for smog? Or do I need a stock replacement pipe?

Going with the Magnaflowseems tomake more sense because of better flow and it actually costs less than a stock replacment pipe.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I pass California Smog with Aftermarket Catted X-Pipe?

Unfortunately, the only cats that are going to pass a visual inspection here in CA are the factory cats, (unless you get lucky), . I may be wrong, butdoesn't the Magnaflow catted pipe only have 2 cats? When the smog CA ***** stick their heads up their and don't see 4 cats, that's a fail. Of course, that's assuming you have 4 cats.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Unfortunately, the only cats that are going to pass a visual inspection here in CA are the factory cats, (unless you get lucky), . I may be wrong, butdoesn't the Magnaflow catted pipe only have 2 cats? When the smog CA smog ***** stick their heads up their and don't see 4 cats, that's a fail. Of course, that's assuming you have 4 cats.
yep, I'm running an slp x but if I need to go in for a visual.. I'll hafta bolt in the stock h
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Hans Moleman

Yep the magnaflow has 2 cats, and the stock has 4. I wondering what the chances are if the smog tech can tell the difference between a stock pipe and aftermarket pipe.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

they don't have to know the diff, they have a picture they can reference your car with.. an x pipe looks much diff from an h pipe.. they will know that, plus the cats look diff on the stock and aftermarket setups. I only have the slp catted x cause it helps me get away from the jerks that want to check but arent prepped.. so far it's helped me out of 1 ticket cause the cop saw my cats' and said "if you want my advice, I'd raise the car, because your passenger cat is sitting pretty darn low to the ground" =P
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

you might get lucky but cali has the hardest smog laws of anywhere id move to a different state
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

you might get lucky but cali has the hardest smog laws of anywhere id move to a different state
Come on now. Move to a different state because CA has tough emission regulations?

Here is what is going to happen when you get a notice from the CA DMV that your car has to go in for emissions testing. You're going to get one of two notices. One is for you to take your car to a "test only" facility. Hopefully this is the one you get. The other is to take your car to a "inspection facility". You don't want that with a modified car.

At the "test only" facility, your car will be visually inspected under the hood and underneath the car. If you have made any modifications or added any performance parts that do not have a C.A.R.B number, you will fail. If you pass the inspection stage at a "test only facility" your car will be put on a dyno andprobes inserted into your tail pipes. Your car will be tested at idle and at 3k+ rpm's on the dyno for pollutants. If your car passes, you do nothing. The information the shop gathered from your car is electronically sent to Sacramento DMV head office and you receive your smog cert from the "test only " facility. If it fails, you are required to take your car to a repair facility to have the repairs done to pass emissions and then re-tested.

The "inspection" facility notice is basically the same thing as a "test only" facility but usually are more advanced shops that not only are wizards at noticing no C.A.R.B mods but can repair emission related problems in house.

As crazy as it sounds, it's true.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Come on now. Move to a different state because CA has tough emission regulations?

Here is what is going to happen when you get a notice from the CA DMV that your car has to go in for emissions testing. You're going to get one of two notices. One is for you to take your car to a "test only" facility. Hopefully this is the one you get. The other is to take your car to a "inspection facility". You don't want that with a modified car.

At the "test only" facility, your car will be visually inspected under the hood and underneath the car. If you have made any modifications or added any performance parts that do not have a C.A.R.B number, you will fail. If you pass the inspection stage at a "test only facility" your car will be put on a dyno andprobes inserted into your tail pipes. Your car will be tested at idle and at 3k+ rpm's on the dyno for pollutants. If your car passes, you do nothing. The information the shop gathered from your car is electronically sent to Sacramento DMV head office and you receive your smog cert from the "test only " facility. If it fails, you are required to take your car to a repair facility to have the repairs done to pass emissions and then re-tested.

The "inspection" facility notice is basically the same thing as a "test only" facility but usually are more advanced shops that not only are wizards at noticing no C.A.R.B mods but can repair emission related problems in house.

As crazy as it sounds, it's true.
[/align][/align]Sounds pretty much to me like moving to another state is a viable option. [/align][/align]Florida is nice, no inspections at all because someone in Tallahassee got sensible (a very rarehappenstance in government) and realised 90%+ of the cars tested were less than 5 years old and easily met the standards--and that the bureaucracy needed to test them was costing more than it was worth*.[/align][/align]------------------------------------[/align]*-Florida used State run facilties for testing, so fortunately the whole thing never became a money maker for the commercial automotive industry. I'm sure if it had they would have lobbied fiercely to keep the gravy train on track.[/align]
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Hans Moleman

I found this catted x-pipe made by a generic company called Pypes
http://www.pysales.com/iwwida.pvx?;i...0%201?comp=ppe

It is CARB legal which means it is legal in California. However it is also 49 state legal which means it is not legal in California. [sm=wtf.gif]

Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Just keep your stock H and bolt it back up if you need a visual. I will guess you won't need a visual for the next 5 years or so. Plus you can go to a hole in the wall place that will just run the test and pass you, most of the ricers do that around here in SD.

E.

Quick Reply: Can I pass California Smog with Aftermarket Catted X-Pipe?